Last-gasp Adelaide snatch victory over Mariners
Ryan Kitto volleyed in a 93rd minute winner to give Adelaide United a dramatic 2-1 victory Central Coast Mariners in Gosford on Thursday.
The winger fired through a crowded penalty area to seal the come-from-behind win and end the Reds' three-match losing run.
Daniel Adlung had sparked the fightback just prior to the hour when his thunderbolt from outside the area cancelled out Wout Brama's penalty.
STORY OF THE GAME
- An end-to-end start saw Andrew Hoole fail to make the most of a cross before Baba Diawara fired narrowly wide.
- Ben Kennedy then did well to tip a classy Karim Matmour volley around the post.
- An unmarked Nikola Mileusnic wasted a chance to open the scoring when he turned Isaias' pass into the crossbar at close-range.
- And he was made to pay as the Mariners almost immediately made it 1-0 through Brama, who made no mistake from the penalty spot.
- Adelaide found a way back when Adlung unleashed an unstoppable rocket into the top corner from outside the area.
- George Blackwood and Matmour both had chances to score the winner late in proceedings.
- But their misses didn't matter as Kitto popped up to give Marco Kurz's men a well-earned three points.
Brama, Central Coast Mariners 40': 1-0
The Dutch midfielder rolled home a cool penalty after Diawara shoved Connor Pain inside the area.
Adlung, Adelaide United 59': 1-1
After Central Coast failed to fully clear an Isaias cross, Adlung thumped a first-time bullet beyond Kennedy to give the visitors life.
Kitto, Adelaide United 90'+3: 1-2
Kitto had looked dangerous all game and got his reward after substitute Mark Ochieng inventively lobbed the ball over his shoulder and back into the danger area.