Key stats as antagonists Adelaide snuff out Gombau's top six tilt
Josep Gombau's former club came back to haunt him as Western Sydney Wanderers exited the Finals Series race at the hands of Adelaide United.
Wanderers headed into Sunday's encounter in control of their own fate, but Gombau's ex-employers dashed his bid for sixth by snatching an entertaining 3-2 win at ANZ Stadium.
Catch up with the key facts and stats from a dramatic clash.
- Since losing three in a row against Western Sydney from December 2012 to November 2013, Adelaide have lost only two of the following 15 meetings (W6, D7, L2).
- This was Wanderers' 10th loss in 22 games under Gombau (W7, D5, L10).
- Adelaide have now been beaten in just one of their past five outings, winning three.
- Despite winning the game, the Reds finished with just four shots on target in the match compared to the Wanderers' seven.
- Ben Garuccio recorded game-highs in both the possession gained (11) and possession lost (27) statistics.