Key stats ahead of Victory v Adelaide Elimination Final
Adelaide United will have to defy history and a horror Finals Series record against Melbourne Victory if they are to win Sunday’s Hyundai A-League Elimination Final.
While Marco Kurz’s Reds will head to AAMI Park full of confidence of staying alive in 2017/18, the stats certainly don’t back them up.
The two clubs have met six times in finals matches, with Adelaide yet to taste victory against their fierce rivals.
Victory have won five of those six, with two of them coming on Grand Final day in 2007 (6-0) and 2009 (1-0).
Kevin Muscat’s side has also won four of the last five clashes against Adelaide at AAMI Park.
But perhaps the most worrying stat for the Reds is their record outside of their home state in finals.
Adelaide United have never won a Hyundai A-League finals game outside South Australia, losing all seven, and scoring just three goals in total in those games.
So history would suggest it’s going to be Victory’s day on Sunday. Can the Reds turn it around?
OTHER MATCH FACTS
- Melbourne Victory have lost just two of their last 15 Hyundai A-League games against Adelaide United (W8, D5), and have won four of their last six games against them (D1, L1).
- Victory have won their last five Hyundai A-League games on the bounce at AAMI Park, never before have they enjoyed a longer winning streak at the venue.
- This will be the 350th Hyundai A-League game for both Melbourne Victory and Adelaide United, with only Brisbane Roar (351) and Central Coast Mariners (350) having played more.
- The Reds have both won the fewest (1) and conceded the joint-most (9) penalties of any team so far this Hyundai A-League campaign.
- Victory star Leroy George has created 70 scoring chances so far this Hyundai A-League season, only Dimitri Petratos (71) has created more.
- Reds skipper Isaias recovers possession an average of 10 times per game this Hyundai A-League season, the most of any outfield player in the competition.