Key stats ahead of Sydney FC v Victory Big Blue Semi-Final
Hoodoos are set to be broken in Saturday night’s Big Blue blockbuster semi-final between Sydney FC and Melbourne Victory at Allianz Stadium.
The Sky Blues may have dominated this fixture in the last couple of seasons but haven’t enjoyed much success against the Big V in finals football.
In fact, Victory has never lost to Sydney FC in regular time (after 90 minutes) in a Finals Series match in six previous meetings.
While the Sky Blues have defeated Victory in two grand finals (in 2010 and 2017), both of those were in a penalty shootout.
Victory have prevailed in the three of the other four clashes (one drawn), including the 2015 decider in Melbourne.
But that’s where the good news ends for Victory.
In the last seven meetings between the two teams, Sydney FC have won all season, including that 4-2 penalty-shootout win in last season’s decider.
And when it comes to finals games at Allianz Stadium, the Sky Blues are unbeaten in all nine, winning seven of them.
OTHER MATCH FACTS
- Kevin Muscat’s men have lost their last five Hyundai A-League finals games played outside Victoria, scoring just two goals in the process. Their only finals win outside their home state came in 2009 against Adelaide at Coopers Stadium (2-0).
- Sydney FC have scored 64 goals this campaign, the second-most of any team in a single Hyundai A-League season (inc. playoffs); Melbourne City hold the record with 66 goals in 2015/16.
- Victory and Sydney FC have each scored 13 goals in the 15 minutes immediately after half-time this season, more than any other teams in the Hyundai A-League.
- Sky Blues defender Alex Wilkinson has made 161 clearances this Hyundai A-League campaign, 26 more than any other player in the competition and 42 more than Victory’s best Rhys Williams (109).
- Victory star Leroy George has assisted 14 goals this Hyundai A-League season; only once in the last six campaigns has any player made more in a single season (Aaron Mooy - 20 in 2015/16).