Kemp cops fine, ban

Melbourne Victory have issued a one-match ban to defender Matthew Kemp following his on-field outburst against Newcastle last week.

Melbourne Victory have issued a one-match ban to defender Matthew Kemp following his on-field outburst against Newcastle last week.

The club also fined Kemp an undisclosed amount after the 31-year-old stormed down the tunnel when he was substituted before half-time in Saturday's 3-1 home loss to Jets.

Victory released a statement saying Kemp's "actions were disrespectful not only to the club, but also his teammates and every Melbourne Victory member and fan".

Kemp, who angrily gestured at coach Jim Magilton when he exited the pitch, regretted his action and hopes to put the incident behind him.

"I've been in the game long enough to know that when decisions on substitutions are made, they are made in the best interests of the team, and my reaction was totally unacceptable," Kemp said.

"I accept responsibility for what occurred and will cop whatever sanction the club deems appropriate on the chin."

After the game last week Magilton said only "Who knows?" when asked if Kemp had played his last game under the temporary boss.