Joel Griffiths gets three-match ban

Sydney FC striker Joel Griffiths has received a three-match ban, after the Match Review Panel deemed he used insulting or abusive language and/or gestures against a match official.

Sydney FC striker Joel Griffiths will miss at least this weekend's vital clash with Newcastle Jets and possibly two more, after the Independent Match Review Panel found him guilty of using "offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures against a match official.”

The MRP cited an incident involving Griffiths in or around the 89th minute of Sydney FC-s game against Melbourne Victory FC on Saturday evening.

The MRP has the authority to consider the incident pursuant to clause 9.1 (c)(i) of the Regulations. In reviewing the incident during this afternoon-s meeting, the MRP took into consideration submissions lodged by Sydney FC, including the Player-s admission of guilt.

The MRP determined that the Player had committed the offence of “Use of offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures against a match official” and proposed a sanction of the Mandatory Match Suspension plus two additional matches.

Under the A-League Disciplinary Regulations the Player or the Club may refer the matter to the Disciplinary Committee for hearing and Determination of the sole question of what additional sanction should be imposed (above the Mandatory Match Suspension which must be served).

Sydney FC chairman Tony Pignata said that while he was disappointed with what happened the Sky Blues would explore all avenues in relation to the ban.

“Sydney FC is disappointed with what happened late in the game last weekend against Melbourne Victory that has led to Joel Griffiths receiving a three-match suspension,” Mr Pignata said.

“Sydney FC prides itself on setting standards in community behaviour and we expect our players to uphold those standards and set a good example.

“Joel has shown remorse for what happened and Sydney FC will consider its options in relation to appealing the severity of the suspension.

“Sydney FC will be making no further comment on the issue until a decision has been made regarding any possible appeal, which must be actioned by 12.00pm on Monday (4 February).”