Gold Coast, Glory all square

Gold Coast United's campaign for a top-two spot hit a roadblock on Monday night as they failed to overcome Perth Glory in an unimpressive and dour 0-0 draw at Skilled Park.

Gold Coast United's campaign for a top-two spot hit a roadblock on Monday night as they failed to overcome Perth Glory in an unimpressive and dour 0-0 draw at Skilled Park.

United could have leapfrogged the Central Coast Mariners into third place but turned out a flat performance that was devoid of the urgency expected from a team with Championship ambitions.

The 2931-strong crowd at Skilled Park had little in the way of entertainment, particularly during the first 45 minutes when both sides produced uninspiring football more akin to aerial ping pong, typified by overblown crosses, fluffed passes, heavy touches and shots that sailed harmlessly wide of the target.

What the match lacked in creativity it made up for in physicality, as referee Peter O'Leary tucked away the whistle for the most part and let a number of clattering challenges set the tone of the match.

Gold Coast, who were without captain Jason Culina and vice-captain Michael Thwaite, saw most of the ball but did little with it, as glovemen Glen Moss and Tando Velaphi were barely tested and chances were few and far between.

In the 46th minute, an incisive Adama Traore run nearly added some much-needed spice into the contest as the Ivorian beat his man on the left side and delivered a quality cross for Joel Porter, but the wily marksman couldn't find the vital touch needed to break the deadlock.

On the stroke of half-time, Dino Djulbic rose to meet a well-measured free kick from Robson but the stopper guided his header just a touch wide of the mark as a frustrating first half came to a close.

The second stanza began with a bit more promise, with United on the front foot and fueled by a loud and boisterous Beach contingent.

Kristian Rees nearly gave them the goal they so craved with a glancing header from another Robson dead ball and though it missed, the home fans began to find their voice.

In the 60th minute, Caravella seized a loose ball from the Glory defence at the top of the box and fired into the bottom left hand corner, but Velaphi was equal to the task.

Even when the lively Traore laid the ball on a platter for Bruce Djite with a perfect through ball in the 64th minute, the part-time Socceroo dragged his shot agonizingly wide of the far post.

Little came from Perth marquee man Robbie Fowler's free kick from just outside the box shortly after, as the Gold Coast wall did its job and deflected the ball away for a corner which was also dealt with.

Chances came and went - in the 70th minute, Velaphi denied another Djite effort, and four minutes later Djulbic's turning volley from near-point blank range missed the target - and even United fan favourite Chris Broadfoot couldn't produce a magical winner as his shot was acrobatically tipped over the crossbar in the late goings.

The home fans thought they had the breakthrough at the death when Tahj Minniecon put in a cross for Djite but as the burly striker tumbled his shot into the net, the ball was deemed to have crossed the goal line in a contentious call from the assistant referee.

That consigned the evening to a disappointing goalless draw which may cost Miron Bleiberg's men if the Central Coast and Adelaide continue to pick up points and run away with second and third positions on the ladder.

Gold Coast United 0 Perth Glory 0 Crowd: 2931 @ Skilled Park, Robina