Gold Coast eye Roar, future

They already had plenty to play for - but the possibility of new ownership has given Gold Coast United yet another reason to perform in their M1 Derby clash against Brisbane on Sunday.

They already had plenty to play for - but the possibility of new ownership has given Gold Coast United yet another reason to perform in their M1 Derby clash against Brisbane on Sunday.

The embattled Hyundai A-League club already knows there is a feint chance they could escape the dreaded wooden spoon this weekend.

They can also stop the Roar from retaining the Premiers' Plate - that is if ladder leaders Central Coast can't beat Wellington earlier on Sunday, setting up a mini-Grand Final for Brisbane.

But following the revelation that a new business consortium is interested in keeping the club afloat, the tourist strip club will be leaving absolutely nothing in the dressing rooms at Skilled Park.

The cartel of Australian and international investors, headed by local mayoral candidate Tom Tate and driven by sports entrepreneur Geoffery Schuhkraft, expects to hear back from FFA this week on their proposal to take over the club.

The news of a potential lifeline has the Gold Coast playing group, already buoyant following a sensational 3-0 win over Perth last weekend, a little more optimistic about the future.

Another performance like that from Mike Mulvey's army of youngsters, together with a bumper crowd for the third and final M1 Derby of the season, certainly won't harm United's chances of survival.

But the bean counters need to act quickly - nearly their entire squad is off-contact and with James Brown (Newcastle) and Adama Traore (Melbourne) already signing with other clubs, the queue to snare the rest of their young telent is beginning to form.

The sooner a decision is made on the future of the tourist strip club, the better for all parties involved, according to Mulvey.

"I can tell you we're working feverishly to implore upon the players that there's a possibility the club will survive," the coach said.

"That can only go so long and the decisions need to be made as soon as possible.

"The only thing that the players, staff and the fans really would like is a definitive answer, sooner rather than later. It's only fair to the players who are looking to move elsewhere."

Mulvey revealed he has been in contact with Schuhkraft, the man behind the fresh moves to keep Gold Coast afloat, and admitted the developments sound legitimate and positive.

But he says the proof will be in the pudding.

"If there's positive news to come out of FFA then I'm all ears," he said.

"I believe they've (the consortium) approached FFA with some sort of idea, which is what we were promised would happen all along. That's now with the FFA, I'm not sure of the details.

"When it's done and dusted, we'll be able to celebrate then. If not, I will know wholeheartedly that I'd done everything possible. There'll be no regrets."

Meanwhile, United youngster Chris Harold is unlikely to feature in Sunday's derby after copping the full force of a tackle from Perth hardman Steve Pantelidis.

But Dutch forward Maceo Rigters, who has been plagued by foot injuries for the latter half of the season, is in line for a recall.