Hyundai A-League friendly wrap: Wins for City, Mariners

The Hyundai A-League 2018/19 Season is almost upon us and most clubs are putting the final touches on their preparations, including a couple of friendly clashes over the weekend.

Melbourne City and Perth Glory went head-to-head on Sunday in a behind-closed-doors clash at City's training ground.

UNDER THE RADAR: The Hyundai A-League’s best under the radar signings
TOP 10: The key signings for your Hyundai A-League club

And it was the hosts that prevailed in a keenly-contested clash, with Dario Vidosic's 17th-minute goal the difference.

Vidosic struck a sweet shot from outside the area which fizzed past Glory keeper Liam Reddy with the aid of a deflection.

Both sides had chances to add to the scoring in an entertaining clash but neither were able to make the most of their opportunities.

The match ended on a sour note for City, with second-half substitute Rostyn Griffiths sent off for a second bookable offence late on.

Meanwhile, New recruits Tommy Oar and Ross McCormack both played as Central Coast Mariners came from a goal down to beat Wollongong Wolves on Friday night.

Despite going behind on 24 minutes through a goal to Wolves' Darcy Madden, the Hyundai A-League club went to the break in front thanks to two goals in five minutes.

Connor Pain set up Michael McGlinchey for the equaliser before slotting the second himself to put Mike Mulvey's troops in front.

Second-half substitute and local boy Jordan Murray had an immediate impact when introduced into the fray on 64 minutes, putting the ball on a plate for Matt Simon to complete the scoring.

It was up to the local boy, Jordan Murray who made an immediate impact after substituting on in the 64thminute to set up his side’s third goal of the night that was finished calmly by Matt Simon.

Then, the game came to life in the 24th minute of play when the Wolves took the lead through Darcy Madden with some solo magic which brought the home fans to their feet.

After play evened out in what was a competitive half of football, the Mariners fired twice with five minutes remaining through McGlinchey & Pain. Pain set the first one up and fired home the second to give his side a 2-1 lead at the break.


  • Photo Credit: Pedro Garcia