Get to know Wellington Phoenix’s new recruit Matija Ljujic
Matija Ljujic may not have been a name too many Hyundai A-League fans were familiar with when the Serbian joined Wellington Phoenix earlier this month.
But after netting twice in his first three games in Phoenix colours, Ljujic has well and truly announced his arrival.
The 24-year-old’s stunning long-range strike against Wanderers – the equaliser in a 1-1 draw – earned him the A-League goal of the week award for Round 16.
And the midfielder backed that up with the opener in Wellington’s upset 3-2 win over Newcastle Jets at McDonald Jones Stadium on Saturday night.
So who is Matija Ljujic? Here’s some fast facts on Phoenix’s new strike weapon.
- Ljujcic came through the youth system at Partizan Belgrade, considered one of the best academies in Serbia.
- The midfielder played four seasons in the Serbian second division (Serbian First League) with Teleoptik between 2010-2014.
- He moved to Serbian top-flight side Rad Beograd in 2014 and made 21 appearances over two seasons.
- Ljujic signed with Lithuanian Champions Žalgiris in 2016, helping the club claim the league title in the same season.
- He has played in four UEFA Champions League Qualifying play-off matches with Žalgiris in 2016 and 2017, ultimately losing to Astana and Ludogorets respectively.