In-form Fornaroli fires decisive goal as City see off battling Mariners
Melbourne City FC strengthened their grip on a third-place finish by edging an impressive Central Coast Mariners 1-0 at AAMI on Saturday night.
The win also edges City closer to a chance of ACL football next year.
STORY OF THE GAME
- PATTERN SET City taking the game to CCM with the visitors dangerous in transition with a pacy trio of strikers
- CHANCE! Atkinson's cross nearly finished by Fornaroli before the ball fell to Mauk, whose shot was deflected wide. So close.
- HALF-TIME 0-0 City dominated but lacked a cutting edge, while the Mariners were well-organised but equally
- GOAL! "El Tuna" Bruno Fornaroli with City's opener on 49 minutes.
- ARZANI SUBBED OFF The rising star doesn't appear injured, a controversial substitution for City after only 55 mins.
- CCM PUSH HARD Heading into the final 10 mins of regulation time and the visitors pushing City back
- FORNAROLI DENIED Kennedy outsmarts the Uruguayan in a 1 v 1. Should've been a second to City in the final few minutes.
Fornaroli City 49', 1-0
Baro gives the ball away and City capitalise with Fornaroli fed the ball just outside the area before hitting the rising ball into the bottom left corner.