Brilliant Bobo hits another hat-trick as six-goal Sydney steamroll Glory
Bobo hit a second successive hat-trick as Sydney FC took a commanding eight-point lead atop the Hyundai A-League with a 6-0 thrashing of Perth Glory at Allianz Stadium on Saturday night.
Brazilian star Bobo netted his entire treble amid a five-goal second-half as the Sky Blues equalled Brisbane Roar's record of 23 consecutive home matches without defeat.
Perth were ultimately powerless to prevent the champions from romping to an ominous victory after former Glory man Brandon O'Neill had opened the scoring midway through the first-half.
STORY OF THE GAME
- Liam Reddy needed to be sharp early to tip Bobo's header over the bar.
- Perth began to probe in attack, but that only left them open to falling behind on the counter-attack as O'Neill capped a swift Sydney move.
- They began to take control from there, with Reddy keeping out efforts from Josh Brillante and Bobo before Milos Ninkovic headed wide at close range.
- Moments after having one ruled out for offside, Mierzejewski did double the Sky Blues' advantage with a deflected effort just prior to the hour.
- Ninkovic next thundered a shot against the crossbar, before Brosque's glancing header extended the margin.
- And they made it three in fewer than 10 minutes when Bobo won and converted a penalty.
- Reddy did his best to prevent a blowout, but Bobo eventually made it five with an excellent finish and rounded out the scoring - and his treble - with a second penalty deep into stoppage time.
O'Neill, Sydney FC 21': 1-0
Mierzejewski slipped Ninkovic in behind and, confronted by Reddy, he unselfishly laid the ball into O'Neill's path for a tap-in.
Mierzejewski, Sydney FC 58': 2-0
After receiving the ball on the edge of the area, Mierzejewski's left-footed shot deflected off Alex Grant and past a wrong-footed Reddy.
Brosque, Sydney FC 62': 3-0
Mierzejewski swept a pass out to Michael Zullo and the full-back's cross was expertly nodded inside the far post by Brosque.
Bobo (p), Sydney FC 67': 4-0
Jacob Poscoliero dragged down Bobo at the far post and the Brazilian dusted himself off to send Reddy the wrong way from the spot, converting into the bottom left corner.
Bobo, Sydney FC 90': 5-0
Mierzejewski's no-look pass in behind got the finish it deserved as Bobo flicked the ball up and volleyed it inside the far post from a seemingly impossible angle.
Bobo (p), Sydney FC 90'+5: 6-0
Bobo was tripped by Reddy in stretching for yet another Mierzejewski pass and the striker converted his second penalty, this time in off the base of the right post.