Five-goal thriller! Victory defeat Phoenix with stunning second half comeback
Melbourne Victory came back from 2-0 down at half time to win 3-2 with Wellington Phoenix in a hugely entertaining encounter on Sunday in the NZ capital.
STORY OF THE GAME
- END TO END What an opening 30 minutes! Ripper entertainment as Troisi hit the base of the post, Berisha missed a sitter, McGlinchey smashed a volley over before Berisha then scored - but was ruled out by VAR.
- 1-0 THEN 2-0! Phoenix opened the scoring on the half hour mark with a superb goal ... the hosts then went 'bang-bang' and made it 2-0 within two minutes courtesy of the same man, Andrija Kaludjerovic.
- 2-0 AT HT: after one of the most entertaining halves of football this season.
- Victory's otherwise classy Leroy George dragged a golden chance wide with only Lewis Italiano to beat.
- 2-1 THEN 2-2! Berisha clinically finishing to get the Big V back in it. Then a few minutes later an OG against Phoenix and Victory suddenly had the momentum.
- It was still end to end entertainment as both sides pressed desperately for a winner.
- BERISHA MISSES SITTER! Incredible miss from the master marksman after Troisi's tenacity got him inside the box but his cut back was smashed wide by "Bes".
- GOAL! 3-2: Troisi with the go-ahead goal to cap a stunning second half comeback.
Kaludjerovic Phoenix 29', 1-0
Right full back Scott Galloway with the high curling cross and Kaludjerovic rose to smash a superb header over Lawrence Thomas. Technique and power in one movement for one of the best headed goals of the season.
Kaludjerovic, Phoenix 31', 2-0
This time the left full back Tom Doyle crossed for his striker and if the opener was powerful, this time it was all technique as the Serbian beat Thomas twice in as many minutes with a looping header from the edge of the box.
Berisha, Victory 54', 2-1
Barbarouses bursting into the box forced a save out of Italiano before Berisha finished off the loose ball in trademark clinical fashion.
Paracki (OG), Victory 57', 2-2
A corner wasn't dealt with, Berisha was in the mix and the unlucky Paracki saw the ball hit him and it somehow found its way over the line.
Troisi, Victory 85', 2-3
Berisha found the ball in the attacking third and his slide-rule ball through found the on-running James Troisi who expertly guided home the go-ahead goal.