The Scout is back for another season to help you win some fantastic prizes with your Hyundai A-League Fantasy squad. Sign up here now!
Each Game Week The Scout will have the inside word on who you should be bringing in and avoiding for your starting XI.
Having cast their eye over all ten clubs throughout the off-season they’re in the best position to give you some friendly advice heading into the season.
So don’t get caught out by Thursday night’s lock-out and sign up now!
Here are The Scout’s tips for Round 1 to help you compile your squad.
Marquee musts: Players that every manager would love to have in their squad based on last season’s stats.
- Besart Berisha: The Melbourne Victory marksman was the leading points scorer in the inaugural season, banking 150 points for managers that had him for the whole season.
- Gui Finkler: The Brazilian was next best on the scoring charts, registering an impressive 5.6 points per match on the back of his regular set-piece wizardry.
- Aaron Mooy: The midfielder’s performances last season saw him upgraded to marquee status during the break and he’s been in outstanding form throughout pre-season and in the FFA Cup.
- Fahid Ben Khalfallah: Another one of the reasons Victory claimed the double last term, FBK signed a contract extension and will no doubt be a potent force going forward once more.
- Sergio Cirio: The wily Spaniard played in every one of Adelaide’s matches last season, netting the fifth highest aggregate score last season and is sure to be among the goals again this season.
Transfer targets: New players to the league that although untried could be valuable additions to your squad.
- Filip Holosko: The Slovak striker netted a worldie for the Sky Blues in pre-season and looks set to hit the ground running.
- Jeffrey Sarpong: The Dutchman has been brought in to add some potency to Wellington’s frontline with his direct style.
- Bruno Fornaroli: The Uruguayan has been in good goal scoring touch since arriving at City and looks set to lead their line.
- Oliver Bozanic: The Socceroo returns from Switzerland for a second crack at the A-League and is sure to have a point to prove.
- Federico Piovaccari: The new Wanderers Italian marquee is a proven goal scorer with UEFA Champions League experience.
Bargain buys: Players that represent great value for money when trying to squeeze your squad under the salary cap.
- Tando Valaphi $155k: Has been in fine form in pre-season and looks set to retain City’s No.1 jersey despite the arrival of Thomas Sorensen.
- Antony Golec $199k: The defender has performed strongly for Glory since moving West and looks to have secured a starting berth.
- Devante Clut $184k: The youngster produced some terrific strikes last season and will be looking to produce on a consistent basis.
- Richard Garcia $189k: Has been handed the captain’s armband at Glory so is sure to start and will no doubt be looking to lead by example on the scoresheet.
- Roy O’Donovan $220k: The Irishman has the task of finding the back of the net for the Mariners on a consistent basis and looks an astute acquisition.
Casualty ward: Players that are injured and unlikely to feature for their club in weekend action.
- Ivan Franjic: The Socceroos defender is battling a quad injury and unlikely to make his Melbourne City debut.
- Dario Vidosic: Revealed at the A-League season launch that he is lacking match fitness and may not start for the Wanderers.
- Josh Rose: Picked up a knock in one of the Mariners pre-season friendlies and is racing the clock to be fit.
- Archie Thompson: Suffered a nasty knee injury in the FFA Cup which is set to see him sidelined for several months.
- Iacopo La Rocca: Sidelined for at least five weeks with a foot injury so will have to wait to make his Reds debut.
Bench-warmers: Players worth keeping in your squad but relegating to the bench for the upcoming Game Week.
- Aaron Mooy
- Tarek Elrich
- Eugene Galekovic
- Matt McKay
* All four players are currently on assignment with the Socceroos in Jordan and are likely to miss their club’s opening fixture this weekend.