Exciting finale sees Newcastle Jets defeat Adelaide United with late penalty
An exciting finale saw Newcastle Jets beat Adelaide United 2-1 on Saturday at McDonald Jones stadium.
On a humid afternoon (29 degrees at kick off) in the Hunter, an exciting second half saw the Jets score a late penalty to win again and close the gap on leaders Sydney FC to five points.
STORY OF THE GAME
- JETS CHANCE: Nabbout with the best chance of an even opening stanza, almost turning in Vujica's low cross on 16 mins.
- REDS CHANCE: Konstandopoulos making Moss in the Jets goal work with a left foot shot on 34 mins.
- HALF TIME: 0-0 Few chances after an even first 45 minutes in hot conditions at McDonald Jones Stadium.
- GOAL! Nabbout hits the net from the Jets' first shot on target after 55 mins.
- GOAL! Blackwood powers home the equaliser for the Reds after 66 mins.
- SAVE: Moss with a super block to keep out Reds full back Marrone.
- JETS CHANCE: Hoffman's superb deep cross found Nabbout who headed the ball back to Champness but the ball was scrambled clear after 80 mins.
- PENALTY! Gulum adjudged to have handled the ball in the Reds box.
- GOAL! Petratos converts after 86 mins to give the Jets a late lead
Nabbout Jets 1-0, 55'
Champness with the ball inside the box, Lia's defensive block saw the ball fortuitously falling to Nabbout and the Jets striker curling the ball past keeper Izzo.
Blackwood Reds 1-1, 67'
A superb transition goal with Mileusnic setting Marrone free down the right hand side, he crossed the bal low to the on-running Blackwood and he powered home the equaliser.
Petratos (pen) Jets 2-1, 89'
Gulum adjudged to have handled and Petratos smashed home the pen.