Easy wins for Sydney and Adelaide

Hyundai A-League sides Sydney and Adelaide were put through their motions by state league sides on Tuesday night, with the national sides easily taking the points in both encounters.

Hyundai A-League sides Sydney and Adelaide were put through their motions by state league sides on Tuesday night, with the national sides easily taking the points in both encounters.

Sydney FC dispatched of state league heavyweight Manly United 4-0 in wet conditions at Cromer Park, despite Sydney coach Vitezslav Lavicka fielding a young side for the pre-season encounter.

Korean trial player Sung Hwan Byun used the slippery surface to his advantage, sliding a free kick past the keeper in the 20th minute of the match.

After also finding the net in a trial at Cromer Park last season, former Manly junior Chris Payne doubled the advantage against his old club when he scored midway through the second half.

Moments later the win was sealed for Sydney when Brendan Gan got in on the act. Given a rare opportunity to push forward, the 21-year old positioned himself on the far post and tapped home the Sky Blues' third after Kofi Danning's effort was blocked by the Manly keeper.

Shannon Cole provided the exclamation point, adding his name to the scoresheet with a well taken free kick with around fifteen minutes remaining.

Boasting an undefeated record and a defence that is yet to concede a goal, Sydney's next test will come when it lines up in a highly anticipated trial clash with State Premier League leader, Sydney United.

A-League runners-up Adelaide United were put to the test in their 4-1 victory over super league club Raiders at the Croatian Sports Centre.

Although The Reds were dominant on the scoreboard, the contest was a highly competitive affair, with an exuberant Raiders outfit making United earn the result, the match providing coach Aurelio Vidmar with just the type of contest he was after.

"It was important for us that Raiders put on a good show and they were really intense throughout the 90 minutes so that made it a very good hit out for us," Vidmar said.

Also pleasing for Vidmar was the 20 minutes of game time new season signing Adam Hughes played, the midfielder making his first appearance for The Reds after recovering from a minor injury strain that kept him out of the opening two pre-season matches.

"He (Hughes) felt alright so it's really pleasing that he could have a bit of a run. Most players had a decent hit out and it was also important to score some goals," Vidmar said.

Former Melbourne Victory midfielder Kristian Sarkies opened the scoring in the 19th minute after latching onto the end of a Scott Jamieson cross before Robert Cornthwaite volleyed home from six metres off a corner to double United's advantage going into half time.

Raiders pegged one back through a Mimi Saric penalty on the hour mark but two United goals in the final 10 minutes put the result beyond doubt.

In the 80th minute Michael Marrone's persistence paid off after he made a weaving run down the right hand side into the penalty area, his initial shot kept out before he managed to knock it in on the follow up.

Travis Dodd then capped the night off, converting a penalty in the 88th minute after Reds youth team hopeful Joe Wright was brought down in the box.

Perth Glory has also kicked off its pre-season campaign with a victory, defeating Inglewood United 1-0 at Clipsal Stadium in Perth.

Second-year player Andrija Jukic broke the deadlock in the 39th minute with a shot from 15 metres.

Assistant coach Kenny Lowe, who was in charge due to the absence of head coach Dave Mitchell, was pleased with the first up run of his side.

"It's pleasing that we came out with no serious injuries, the physical preparation work we've done so far is paying dividends with the lads looking fit and strong out there."