Deng: City's opening Derby dominance is 'old news'
Melbourne Victory defender Thomas Deng is confident his side can secure local bragging rights despite a poor recent record against Melbourne City.
Deng's Victory side have lost the first Melbourne Derby to City in each of the last three seasons, and - for the first time since the 2011/12 campaign - were unable to register a win against their fierce rivals last season.
But the 22-year-old defender is flagrantly unconcerned by suggestions the balance of power in Victoria may be shifting ahead of Saturday evening's highly-anticipated kick off at Marvel Stadium.
"That's last year so it's old news. It's all about now," Deng said.
"So we'll see who has the last word I guess."
HOW TO WATCH: Hyundai A-League Round 1
"They're definitely a side that we can't underestimate and we're going to approach this game very seriously and go from there."
Although Caltex Socceroo Andrew Nabbout is in line for his first Hyundai A-League appearance since March 3, 2018, international teammate Robbie Kruse's Victory homecoming will be delayed following news the attacker is still recovering from a hamstring injury sustained during pre-season.
The Derby will be the first Hyundai A-League match at the helm for the respective men in the dugout, with former Adelaide United boss Marco Kurz replacing Kevin Muscat and experienced Frenchman Erick Mombaerts assuming the post vacated by Warren Joyce.
"It's very exciting, we've got a new coach and new management," Deng said.
"So it's a different feel. It's also a new beginning for us - we're very excited for the season and we're happy to have Marco at the club."