De Silva dazzles in Call to Arms Cup win

A stunning individual goal from Daniel De Silva helped steer Glory to a come-from-behind 3-1 win over the WA State team in their Call to Arms Cup clash.

A stunning individual goal from Daniel De Silva helped steer Glory to a come-from-behind 3-1 win over the WA State team in Wednesday's Call to Arms Cup clash at Inglewood's Intiga Stadium.

Picking up the ball some 25 metres out, the highly-rated 16-year-old bore down on goal, juggled the ball over one defender, dribbled past another and then fired an unstoppable shot into the bottom corner to claim a spectacular first goal for the club.

Steven McGarry also found the net from the penalty spot, with Ndumba Makeche adding the third right at the death, but Glory were made to work hard for their victory after Sorrento's Gavin Knight had fired the State team in front with only two minutes on the clock.

Kenny Lowe's men rarely looked like relinquishing that advantage as they matched Glory stride for stride in a hard-fought first-half.

Ryan Edwards and Ryo Nagai looked the most likely for Glory during that opening period, but they also had plenty of defending to do and were grateful to 'keeper Danny Vukovic who produced a fine one-handed save to prevent the impressive Knight from doubling his side's advantage just before the break.

As expected, Glory coach Alistair Edwards rang the changes at the start of the second-half, introducing eight fresh faces including Ljubo Milicevic who went close to starting his second spell at the club in spectacular style.

The imposing central defender had stayed forward after a corner had only been half-cleared and met a fine cross from Nagai with a powerful diving header that flashed narrowly wide of the post.

Moments later, however, McGarry did find the net, calmly sending substitute 'keeper Nick Feely the wrong way from the spot after a State team defender was adjudged to have handled in the box.

That equaliser seemed to settle Glory and as their opponents began to tire, they gradually seized the initiative and piled on the pressure.

Josh Risdon tried his luck from range only to be foiled by Feely, but there was nothing the State 'keeper could do to prevent De Silva from weaving his magic on 82 minutes and Glory iced the cake just before the final whistle as Makeche bagged the goal his hard-working second-half display deserved.

Call to Arms Cup Perth Glory 3-1 WA State Team (Half-time 0-1 ) Intiga Stadium, Inglewood Wednesday 21st August 2013 Referee: David Bruce

Perth Glory: 1.Danny Vukovic (20. Jack Duncan (GK) 46'), 3. Brandon O'Neill (23. Michael Thwaite 46'), 5. Steve Pantelidis (12. Ljubo Milicevic 46'), 19. Josh Risdon, 21. Scott Jamieson (2. Jack Clisby 46'), 7. Jacob Burns (Cameron Edwards 46'), 14. Steven McGarry, 4. Ryan Edwards (18. Daniel De Silva 60'), 8. Ryo Nagai, 17. Chris Harold (11. Adrian Zahra 46'), 10. Jamie Maclaren (22. Ndumba Makeche 46')

Scorers: McGarry (pen) 50', De Silva 82', Makeche 88'

WA State Team: 1. Curtis Aspden (GK) (12. Nick Feely (GK) 46'), 3. Adam Tong, 4. Euen Grant , 6. Clarke Keltie (20. Blamo QuaQua 78'), 9. Gavin Knight (13. Steve Howson 52', 2. Ryan Pearson (19. Ali Gholami 81'), 7. Ludo Boi, 10. Kris Gate (15. David Price 55'), 11. Paul Lloyd (18. Bor Bor Sambindi 78'), 8. Conor Kavanagh (14. Eamon McNelis 52'), 5. Ashley Corker (17. Mike Aspin 27')

Scorers: Knight 2'

Gareth Morgan