Clinical Wanderers make it two wins on the trot with eye-catching victory
Western Sydney Wanderers have made it back-to-back wins after they defeated Brisbane Roar 2-0 on Friday night at Suncorp Stadium.
Roar started with Massimo Maccarone in a deeper role while Corey Gameiro played up top in the Queensland capital.
But Wanderers were the more clinical of the two inflicting a fifth home defeat on Roar with two first-half goals as their push for a top-six spot gains momentum.
STORY OF THE GAME
- BRIGHT START FOR BRISBANE: The hosts were on the front foot early but without carving out clear chances.
- GOAL! Against the run of play, Riera opened the scoring for Wanderers, his sixth of the season after 28 mins.
- CRUCIAL STOP: Roar's Gameiro set free but Janjetovic denied him in the one v one.
- GOAL! Superb team goal finished off by Bridge and it's 0-2 after 44 mins.
- HALF-TIME: 0-2 as Roar dominated play but Wanderers the more clinical of the two sides.
- SUPER STOPS: Gameiro smashes a goal-bound effort tipped over by Janjetovic around the hour mark followed by an excellent stop by Young to keep Roar in the game.
- RIERA MISS: Lustica with the set piece, and Riera with the goal beckoning guided it wide with his header.
- SANTA SMACKED: Maccarone barged into Santalab with the WSW striker bloodied after the collision in the box.
- LATE SAVES: Roar's Young with a super stop from close quarters keeping WSW out and minutes later he was at it again to keep out Lachy Scott in stoppage time.
Riera WSW 28' 0-1
A cross from Wanderers right by Lustica found Santalab at the far post. His stooping header was pushed wide by Young in the Roar goal straight to Riera who buried it from in front.
Bridge WSW 44' 0-2
Wanderers with intelligent and patient build up before Bridge was found in the box and he smashed it low past Young's left glove, at the same end he scored WSW's first ever A-League goal.