Cassio injury fears

Adelaide United defender Cassio is facing a lengthy spell on the sidelines after doing further damage to his already bruised foot in last Saturday's 1-1 draw with Wellington Phoenix.

Adelaide United defender Cassio is facing a lengthy spell on the sidelines after doing further damage to his already bruised foot in last Saturday's 1-1 draw with Wellington Phoenix.

The Brazilian was in doubt heading into the game and lasted only 38 minutes when he rolled his ankle and had to be substituted.

Initial scans on Monday revealed the 31-year-old had no fractures or breaks in the bone but was sent he was sent for MRI scans on Tuesday.

Although the club is yet to receive the results back, coach Rini Coolen fears the reigning club champion could be out for an extended period of time, possibly the season.

"He (Cassio) is definitely not available for this game (Friday against Newcastle Jets) but also he could be out for a longer period, which is very disappointing for us as a team and definitely for Cassio," Coolen said.

"We think it is the tendon, because nothing was broken but it was bruised."

"We will catch up during the day more than likely with Cassio and the medical team to find out what's the next step because he could need an operation ... that is one of the possibilities."

"If that's going to happen then it's clear he is more than likely not available for a very long period."

Cassio's possible season-ending injury couldn't have come at a worse time for Adelaide, after they lost another player this week when Dutch winger Andy Slory announced his retirement from professional football on Tuesday.

Slory had come under fire for his inconsistency and attitude on the pitch, with his first-half dragging in the 7-1 loss to Brisbane being a particular low-point for the 29-year-old.

Despite heavy criticism of the winger who was often made a scapegoat for the Reds' struggles this season, Coolen said he was not surprised by Slory's decision.

"I wasn't surprised because we spoke about it a couple of days before (he made the announcement) and I always knew that something was in his mind (about retiring) a few years ago when he took the step to come over here," Coolen said.

"Everything turned out pretty good though but we still had a chat about it (retiring) a couple of times."

"He said he was totally clear in his mind that he wanted to do something else and that he had a very good feeling about what it was ... so we have to respect his decision."

"Of course we are not happy to lose a player like that, but we accept it, that's the way it is, and now we have to move on ... it's the best solution for everyone, especially Andy."

Coolen was also quick to categorically deny suggestions he and Slory clashed and that the former Feyenoord attacker was not punished after reportedly missing last week's training sessions before the match with Wellington.

"I understand that's something that people want to hear, but that (clashing personally) definitely didn't happen, we had a very good relationship when he came here and we still do now," Coolen said.

"There are always rumours, but the real story was that Andy was available for that game, however we made the decision to bring in a player who was 100 per cent fit and doing well in training."

"That's why we took Ricky (Ricardo Da Silva) instead of Slory... we have to give those (squad) players an opportunity as well."

With Slory's departure and Cassio's injury, Coolen hinted that the Reds could be interested in bringing fresh faces to the club come the January transfer window.