In-form centre-back Patrick Kisnorbo says he wants to stay at Melbourne City FC but is yet to begin contract negotiations with the Hyundai A-League club.Nearing the end of his second season with the team, the 34-year-old is producing some of his best performances since returning to Australia in 2013, following a career that took in Heart of Midlothian, Leicester City and Leeds United in the UK.
Speaking before a club function on Wednesday, the rugged former South Melbourne defender - out of contract at the end of the campaign - confirmed he wanted to remain with John van 't Schip's side but is taking a relaxed approach to any potential renewal.
"I'd love to stay at the club," he said.
"It's a great club, it's a club that's got a big future. But at the end of the day I'm not going to worry about next year. I'll worry about day-by-day and game-by-game. That's it."
Asked if any attempt to initiate talks had been made, he said: "No, nothing like that. I'm not worrying about it. Whatever happens, happens."
City are on track to finish sixth in the regular season and claim the final berth in the 2014-15 playoffs, ahead of reigning champions Brisbane Roar FC. VIDEO: City taking one game at a time
On Sunday they play host to Wellington Phoenix, who led the competition briefly before suffering successive 3-0 losses at home to Sydney FC and then Melbourne Victory in their last two matches.
"Wellington have come off two bad results so we know they'll be fighting. So are we," Kisnorbo said.
As for his team's recent upturn in form, the 18-cap Socceroo offered a reminder that City - until this season known as Melbourne Heart - are still searching for long-term consistency of performance, despite shedding their old name.
"There's no point doing it for four games. We need to do it for seasons," he said.