Bulut fires for Sydney

Sydney FC has defeated Gold Coast United 3-1 in a keenly fought National Youth League encounter at Cromer Park in Sydney on Saturday.

Sydney FC has defeated Gold Coast United 3-1 in a keenly fought National Youth League encounter at Cromer Park in Sydney on Saturday.

The home side took a first half lead but that was cancelled out immediately after the break. But a spectacular strike from skillful Iain Ramsay and striker Kerem Bulut-s cool finish gave the Sky Blues a 3-1 lead they held onto against a committed Gold Coast side.

The game started at break-neck speed and Sydney FC had the ball the ball in the net after just five minutes but Bulut-s strike from inside the box was ruled a hand-ball.

It was the same striker who came close on ten minutes after a flowing move started deep in Sydney-s defence but his lunge at a crossed ball was splayed just wide of Jerrad Tyson-s post.

Bulut-s flashy lime-green-boots were causing plenty of havoc and on 33 minutes his hard work won a corner for the sky blues. In the ensuing play Tyson went down injured but was cleared to play on.

It got worse for the United keeper on 37 minutes when Sydney winger Adam Casey found himself in space on the right and his low shot went under the keeper and into the net.

With Sydney-s tails up, Tyson redeemed himself with a smart save first from a Dimitrios Petratos shot and a brave dive at Bulut-s feet as the sky blues turned the screws.

It should-ve been 2-0 right on half-time with Casey-s low cross just failing to find an on-rushing Sydney player in the six-yard box.

1-0 down at half-time and Gold Coast could-ve easily conceded again with playmaker Iain Ramsay causing havoc down both wings in the opening minutes of the second half.

However, Sydney failed to convert the two good chances he created and were made to pay. On 50 minutes United-s Chris Harold skipped clear of the home defence, rounded substitute keeper Mark Pullman and coolly converted an equaliser.

But it was Sydney FC who spectacularly regained the lead just minutes later with Ramsay-s rocket from 30 metres out busting the Gold Coast net.

And on 75 minutes Casey shot just wide of the post but two minutes later his brilliance on the right supplied Bulut with an easy chance and the lively forward calmly converted to extend the lead to 3-1.

United's Zach Anderson had a goal disallowed and Gold Coast striker Andrew Barisic had a good opportunity to pull one back with ten minutes left but his low shot hit the side netting as the visitor poured forward in a desperate attempt to regain a foothold in the game.

The pacy and committed Bulut continued to cause problems for the Gold Coast defence in the final minutes but the home side were unable to add to their tally running out 3-1 winners.

Sydney FC 3 (Casey 37, Ramsay 55, Bulut 77) Gold Coast United 1 (Harold 50)