Brisbane Roar v Sydney FC: match preview
Next week starts with a blockbuster clash between two sides who could well be left standing on Grand Final day later this month.
Monday night football sees Brisbane Roar take on Premiers, Sydney FC, at McDonald Jones Stadium, with both sides looking to find a bit more consistency ahead of the finals.
Roar are still fighting for a top-four finish and come into this clash after a 1-1 draw against Wellington Phoenix on Wednesday night.
Warren Moon’s side – who have had a win, loss and draw since the league’s resumption – will again look to veteran attacker Scott McDonald for inspiration, with the former Celtic striker in red-hot touch of late scoring six goals in six games since the restart.
The Sky Blues rediscovered some rhythm in their 1-1 draw with Adelaide United on Thursday, snapping their surprise two-game losing streak.
Striker Adam Le Fondre, who found the net against the Reds, will be desperate to score again as he looks to get his hands on this season’s Golden Boot.
It’s been all Sydney in the two previous meetings between the clubs this season, with Steve Corica’s side registering 5-1 and 1-0 victories.
Monday, August 10 2020
Kick-off: 7.30pm AEST
Venue: ANZ Stadium
Broadcast: FOX Sports 507
Stream: MyFootball Live App, Kayo Sports
Ways to watch
How to follow the action
Match centre: Live updates, videos and statistics
Follow @ALeague on Twitter and join the conversation using #BRIvSYD #ALeague
Brisbane Roar FC squad: 1.Max CROCOMBE (gk), 2.Scott NEVILLE, 3.Corey BROWN, 4.Daniel BOWLES, 5.Tom ALDRED (c), 6.Macaulay GILLESPHEY, 7.Jai INGHAM, 8.Danny KIM, 10.Bradden INMAN, 12.Matthew RIDENTON, 19.Jack HINGERT, 20.Aaron AMADI-HOLLOWAY, 21.Jamie YOUNG, 23.Dylan WENZEL-HALLS, 25.Rahmat AKBARI, 26.Jay O’SHEA, 27.Kai TREWIN, 29.Jordan COURTNEY-PERKINS, 30.Mirza MURATOVIC, 77.Scott MCDONALD **2-4 to be omitted**
Ins: 25.Rahmat Akbari (promoted), 30.Mirza MURATOVIC (promoted)
Unavailable: 22.Jake MCGING (knee)
Sydney FC squad: 1.Andrew REDMAYNE (gk), 2.Patrick FLOTTMANN, 3.Ben WARLAND, 4.Alex WILKINSON (c), 5.Alex BAUMJOHANN, 6.Ryan McGOWAN, 7.Michael ZULLO, 8.Paulo RETRE, 9.Adam LE FONDRE, 10.Milos NINKOVIC, 11.Kosta BARBAROUSES, 12.Trent BUHAGIAR, 16.Joel KING, 17.Anthony CACERES, 18.Luke IVANOVIC, 19.Chris ZUVELA, 20.Thomas HEWARD-BELLE (gk), 21.Harry VAN DER SAAG, 26.Luke BRATTAN, 28.Calem NIEUWENHOF **2-4 to be omitted**
Ins: 3.Ben WARLAND (promoted), 26.Luke BRATTAN (returns from suspension)
Unavailable: 23.Rhyan GRANT (1 week - groin)
Did you know?
- Sydney FC have won their last three meetings against Brisbane Roar. No team has ever won four in a row in the history of this fixture.
- Brisbane Roar have not conceded more than one goal in a Hyundai A-League game since Round 14 and have conceded only eight goals in 13 matches since that round.
- Sydney FC are winless from their last three Hyundai A-League matches. The last time they went longer without a win was a club-record 11-match span from January to April 2016.
- Brisbane Roar have won 50.6% of their duels in this campaign. Only the Central Coast Mariners (52.1%) have a highest duel success rate.
- 28 of Sydney FC's goals have come from right-footed shots this season. Only Perth Glory (25) and Melbourne City (21) also have more than 20 goals in this category in 2019/20.