Brisbane Roar are out of the AFC Champions League after Filipino side Ceres-Negros came from behind to snatch a shock 3-2 win in Preliminary Round 2 on Tuesday night.
With the chance to move within one match of the group stage, Roar appeared on track at QSAC Stadium when Massimo Maccarone netted the opener shortly after the half-hour.
But the unfancied visitors quickly equalised Bienvenido Maranon and the Spanish striker added a second in the 65th minute, before Omid Nazari extended the margin to spark wild celebrations on the Ceres-Negros bench.
Eric Bautheac cut the deficit late in normal time, but Risto Vidakovic's men held on for a famous victory.
STORY OF THE GAME
- CHANCE: The visitors threaten as Stephan Schrock's clever ball in behind agonisingly evades Nazari, who only needed a touch.
- GOAL! Maccarone looks to have eased Roar's nerves with a tap-in from Holman's unselfish pass.
- GOAL! But Ceres strike back before the break as Maranon fires in from a corner.
- HALF-TIME: All square at the interval with the underdogs growing in confidence.
- CHANCE: Ivan Franjic gets a shot away in the area but can't generate the power to trouble Toni Doblas.
- GOAL! At the other end, Maranon's brilliant finish gives his side a stunning lead.
- CONFUSION: Bautheac, introduced at half-time, is momentarily forced off the pitch due to the number peeling off his playing shirt.
- GOAL! Just as the drama appears to have died down, the Filipino side extend their lead through Nazari.
- GOAL! Bautheac sparks hope of a late fightback with a well-taken effort, but it proves too late.
Massimo Maccarone, Brisbane Roar 35': 1-0
Matt McKay and Fahid Ben Khalfallah combine to free Holman in the area and the midfielder squares back across goal for Maccrone to tap home.
Bienvenido Maranon, Ceres-Negros 43': 1-1
Roar fail to clear a corner and the ball drops for Maranon, whose poacher's effort brushes Dane Ingham and crosses the line off the underside of the bar.
Bienvenido Maranon, Ceres-Negros 65': 1-2
Mike Ott reels in a hopeful ball out of defence and touches a pass inside for Maranon, who curls a delightful finish around Jamie Young from the edge of the area.
Omid Nazari, Ceres-Negros 75': 1-3
Brisbane are again undone from a corner. Nazari eventually forces in at close-range after the ball pinballed around the penalty area.
Eric Bautheac, Brisbane Roar 86': 2-3
Bautheac skilfully brings down Franjic's cross from the right and fires high into the roof of the net.