Brandon Borrello says a burning desire to show he belongs in the Brisbane Roar first team has been the catalyst for his sensational start to the Hyundai A-League season, and his coach believes one day he'll make the full national team.
The 20-year-old attacker is the league’s leading scorer, with four goals to his name from the opening four rounds.
He has formed a deadly combination with fellow youngster Jamie Maclaren which has helped Roar get to second on the ladder.
And Borrello was rewarded on Thursday when he was named the October nominee for the Hyundai A-League's NAB Young Footballer of the Year award.
Asked the secret behind his success so far in 2015/16, Borrello told reporters: "I needed to score more goals, it's as simple as that.
"I felt like last year I let the team down a little bit in that sense [scoring goals]. I would get into good positions but make the wrong decision in the wrong areas.
"There's just little things in my game that I can improve that I'm seeing, slowly and slowly, they're getting better. I need to start improving on my game physically and mentally.
"I've still got a long way to go so I am always looking to increase my ability…so [here at Brisbane] is definitely a place in the game where I want to be at the moment."
Incredibly, Borrello is still only at Roar on a youth contract.
Sure to attract attention from rival clubs as his form continues to skyrocket, Brisbane boss John Aloisi said getting Borrello’s signature on a senior deal was a top priority.
"It always has been a priority," Aloisi said.
"I liked what I saw in Brandon last season. The first week I arrived the first thing I did was ring his agent.
"I think he's going to be an important player not only for Brisbane Roar, but hopefully for the Socceroos one day.
“He is still developing as a player and I think he is in the right place to develop as a player. I know Brandon is happy here.
“Hopefully we can keep him here for at least another couple of years before maybe going overseas."
Meanwhile, Roar has received a boost ahead of Friday night’s top-of-the-table clash with Sydney FC with striker Jean Carlos Solorzano and defender James Donachie set to return.
The pair have yet to feature so far this season but will travel with the squad for the clash against the unbeaten Sky Blues at Allianz Stadium on Friday night.
"I think the players that have had the opportunity to play have done well but it's a long season and we need everyone,” Aloisi said of the depth in his squad.
"We know we're going to be losing players throughout the season with national team duty. There’s always injuries and suspensions to deal with as well.
"They know their chance will come and they're working hard so when it does arrive they're ready."
Adding to the selection headaches likely to face Aloisi in coming weeks, new Spanish import Javier Hervas, Brazilian attacker Henrique and veteran goalkeeper Michael Theo are also close to returns.