Boogaard and McGree on target as dogged Newcastle Jets defeat Melbourne Victory
A dogged Newcastle Jets defeated Melbourne Victory 2-0 with skipper Nigel Boogaard and Riley McGree on target, but it was Jets keeper Jack Duncan who stole the show with a superb display on Saturday.
In more good news for the Jets, Roy O'Donovan made his return to the side after an injury layoff though he looked a little rusty.
For Victory, their loss was compounded by an injury to keeper Lawrence Thomas, who was stretchered off in the second half at McDonald Jones stadium with a neck injury. He was taken to hospital after the game.
STORY OF THE GAME
- DUNCAN'S CLASS SAVE The Jets keeper blocking Barbarouses' angled shot after 18 mins.
- WILLIAMS GOES CLOSE The Victory defender with a great chance to open the scoring inside the box, guiding his tame effort just wide of the post. That was to prove a costly miss.
- GOAL: Nigel Boogaard with a glancing header to open the scoring after 30 mins. 1-0 to the Jets.
- DUNCAN AGAIN! The Jets keeper pulled off a brilliant stop on the cusp of half time to deny Berisha.
- HALF TIME: 1-0 The Jets with their noses in front after a feisty, but even, opening 45 mins.
- DUNCAN YET AGAIN! The Jets keeper tipping O'Donovan's clearance onto the bar.
- CONCUSSION TO LAWRENCE THOMAS Brave goalkeeping sees the Victory stopper hit the turf with a thud, and subsequently stretchered off after 55 mins. Matt Acton on for Victory.
- BARBAROUSES DENIED Duncan pushing the Kiwi's powerful strike over the bar on 63 mins.
- SO CLOSE FOR VICTORY Sub Leroy George swings in a lovely set piece that Berisha just fails to get enough on and the ball rolls the wrong side of the post. Victory in the ascendancy.
- GOAL! Caltex Socceroo Riley McGree with a timely second. 2-0 to the Jets with just under 20 mins to go.
- BROXHAM HITS THE BAR! In the final minute of stoppage time, DJ Brox is denied. It just won't go in for Victory.
Boogard Jets 1-0, 30'
Petratos with the curling set piece from the left and the big central defender guided his glancing header past Lawrence Thomas to open the scoring.
McGree Jets 2-0, 71'
Hoffman sets Nabbout away down Victory's left and his low cross to the far post picked up substitute Riley McGree who guided the ball into the net for his debut goal in Jets colours.