Bobo hits a hat-trick as Sydney outclass Phoenix
Bobo bagged a hat-trick as Sydney FC reasserted their five-point lead in first with a comprehensive 4-1 win over Wellington Phoenix at Westpac Stadium on Saturday.
Set a challenge by Newcastle Jets' impressive victory on Friday night, the champions responded perfectly through their Brazilian striker's classy treble.
Bobo opened the scoring, teed up Adrian Mierzejewski for the second and added two more of his own after half-time to sew up three points.
Andrija Kaluderovic had given Phoenix hope by reducing the deficit before the break, but the Sky Blues were always in control in registering a sixth successive Hyundai A-League victory.
STORY OF THE GAME
- Sydney raced to an early lead with their first real sight of goal, Bobo capping a classy move inside 20 minutes.
- And their lead was doubled soon after, the Brazilian this time exchanging roles with Mierzejewski to provide the playmaker with a simple header.
- Out of nothing, Wellington were back in it just before half-time as Kaluderovic again exhibited his aerial prowess in netting an eighth of the campaign.
- But their hopes of a comeback were dealt a blow before the hour with Bobo turning home his second.
- Adam Parkhouse could have cut the deficit once more, but the winger's touch enabled Andrew Redmayne to smother the finish.
- It should have been back to a one-goal margin when substitute Sarpreet Singh curled a sweet strike toward goal, only to see it come back off the upright.
- Instead, it was left to Bobo to put the final seal on three points as the Sydney striker completed a perfect hat-trick late in proceedings.
Bobo, Sydney FC 17': 0-1
Mierzejewski made the goal. The Pole's delightful lofted pass out to the left allowed Michael Zullo to square first-time for a close-range Bobo finish.
Mierzejewski, Sydney FC 25': 0-2
The same three were involved again as Zullo's pass this time released Bobo, who turned provider in dinking a cross to the far post for Mierzejewski to nod home.
Kaluderovic, Wellington Phoenix 40': 1-2
Wellington worked the ball to Scott Galloway on the right and the full-back only needed to put it within range of Kaluderovic. The prolific striker craned his neck to loop an expert header over Redmayne.
Bobo, Sydney FC 58': 1-3
Brandon O'Neill won possession and fed the ball to Mierzejewski's feet inside the area. An unselfish squared pass saw Bobo stretch to divert it beyond Lewis Italiano.
Bobo, Sydney FC 86': 1-4
David Carney reeled in Luke Wilkshire's outside-of-the-boot pass and crossed perfectly to the far post for Bobo to head in his third of the afternoon and 10th of the campaign.