Bobo brace helps Sydney FC see off classy Wellington Phoenix
Sydney FC's Brazilian striker Bobo nabbed a brace to help Sydney FC see off an impressive Wellington Phoenix 3-2 on Sunday night to conclude Round 2 in the Hyundai A-League.
The win, while not hugely convincing from the champions, ensured they have won their opening two matches ahead of next Saturday's Sydney Derby.
However, an injury to Adrian Mierzejewski soured the win, the classy Polish winger leaving the park on 53 minutes with a hamstring strain.
STORY OF THE GAME
- Phoenix started brightly but warning bells sounded when Brosque missed a sitter when Sydney opened up the visitors with ease. And within minutes the champions were 2-0 up. It was all going to script.
- But, Phoenix hit back on the stroke of half time to make it 2-1.
- However, Bobo was back to haunt Phoenix with his second and Sydney's third shortly after the break.
- Yet once again Phoenix got back on the scoresheet to make it 3-2 with half an hour left.
- Phoenix pushed the champions all the way and forced a goal-line clearance from Zullo just on full time.
- Matt Simon in time added on should've finished off Phoenix with two good chances but it ended 3-2 as thoughts now turn to the Sydney Derby for the Sky Blues.
Bobo, Sydney FC 29’, 1-0
Brosque with the slip pass into Bobo who turns and slams it into the top of the net with the help of a deflection from a defender
Zullo, Sydney FC 34’, 2-0
Mierzejewski sprinted to catch a ball through and got to it with his cross, that want beyond Bobo. Zullo found it and he smashed it home!
Kaluderovic, Phoenix 44’, 2-1
Vidosic to Kaluderovic who breaks into the box and connects with a half volley that zooms past Redmayne and busts the net.
Bobo, Sydney FC 49', 3-1
Superb delivery by Wilkshire to Bobo in the box who arches his head back before unleashing a powerful header past Smith.
Vidosic, Phoenix 60’, 3-2
McGlinchey turns his opponent inside out and finds Vidosic who gets in between two Sydney FC defenders to head past Redmayne.