Bautheac beauty as Brisbane Roar edge out Adelaide
Eric Bautheac's brilliant first-half free-kick boosted Brisbane Roar's Finals Series hopes in a 1-0 win over Adelaide United at Suncorp Stadium on Saturday.
The French ace netted the only goal shortly before the break to temporarily lift his side within one point of sixth-placed Western Sydney Wanderers.
Adelaide, who welcomed Johan Absalonsen back from injury for the final 30 minutes, were unable to make their opportunities count as Roar held on for a third home win of the campaign.
STORY OF THE GAME
- CHANCE: Massimo Maccarone flicks Fahid Ben Khalfallah's past the far post.
- CHANCE: Jordan O'Doherty drives at the heart of the Roar defence and weaves away from Jade North, but finishes tamely from the edge of the area.
- CHANCE: Maccarone gets a simple finish all wrong after Bautheac's cross evaded Jordan Elsey.
- GOAL! Pure class from Bautheac to open the scoring with a wonderful free-kick.
- CLOSE: Moments after the restart, George Blackwood almost gets a toe on Ryan Kitto's delivery.
- CHANCE: O'Doherty puts Nikola Mileusnic through on goal, but Jamie Young gets down low to hold the finish.
- INJURY: Jade North is forced off by a calf complaint, replaced by Daniel Bowles.
- CHANCE: Paul Izzo parries Holman's drive before recovering to deny Corey Gameiro.
- CHANCE: Gameiro gets on the end of a breakaway in stoppage time, but Izzo foils him with his feet.
Bautheac, Brisbane Roar 41': 1-0
Superb. From the edge of the area, Bautheac strokes a delightful curling free-kick over the wall and past a despairing Paul Izzo.