Club legend Osvaldo Ardiles has been confirmed as Spurs Ambassador on tour for their May 30 clash with Sydney FC at ANZ Stadium.
Ardiles is a former champion midfielder who played 311 games for Spurs between 1978-88 and was club manager during the mid 90s. He played a starring role in Argentina’s 1978 FIFA World Cup victory.
“I am delighted to be coming to Sydney and meeting the many fans that Tottenham Hotspur has in this part of the world.
“I was a member of the last Spurs team to visit the city 30 years ago and I am sure that the current squad will enjoy the experience just as much as we did, taking on a strong Sydney FC side at ANZ Stadium in front of thousands.
“We will be staging a number of events aimed at engaging our supporters in the region throughout the visit, as we do wherever the Club travels on tour, and I am very much looking forward to being a part of this," he said.
Eight-times FA Cup champions Tottenham Hotspur will arrive in Sydney on Thursday 28 May, with Spurs playing in-form Sydney FC at ANZ Stadium on Saturday 30 May (7.30pm event commencement).
Highlights of the #SpursInSydney schedule include:
- An open training session at ANZ Stadium from 4pm on Friday 29 May, followed by a dedicated autograph and photo opportunity for fans. This event is FREE to all;
- A supporters’ evening with Ossie Ardiles on the evening of Friday 29 May, to be hosted by OzSpurs, Tottenham Hotspur’s Official Supporters Club in Australia, at a venue to be confirmed;
- Coaching clinics in Sydney, Central Coast and Wollongong. Spurs’ Global Coaching Team will run a range of clinics for weekend participants, emerging talent and those less fortunate. Stay tuned for more information;
- Meet-The-Players opportunities: stay tuned for further details!
- AIA Cup Tottenham Hotspur v Sydney FC football classic at ANZ Stadium 7.30pm Saturday 30 May
The big game will be telecast live on the Seven Network to an audience of more than one million nationally, and broadcast to millions more throughout Europe. The two teams will play for the AIA Cup, with the leading pan Asian independent life insurance company AIA the official partner of Spurs’ tour to the Asia-Pacific region.
More than 53,000 tickets have already been sold for the game, which is a jewel in the crown of an amazing week of sport at ANZ Stadium and a huge month of major events in Sydney this May.
Previously, the Sky Blues famously humbled David Beckham’s LA Galaxy team 5-3 at ANZ Stadium, Sydney’s Olympic stadium.
Sydney FC coach Graham Arnold said his squad was looking forward to taking on Tottenham Hotspur.
Arnold added: “It is fantastic that a legend of the world game in Ossie Ardiles will be coming to Sydney to support a fantastic football occasion.
“Ossie was an excellent player and is a World Cup winner, regarded by many as one of greatest who have played the game.
“I’m certain he and the thousands of fans who attend will enjoy a wonderful event.”
Tickets are at family-friendly prices - from $39 for adults and $15 for children –available here