Adelaide United eye home final after sweeping aside Wellington Phoenix
Adelaide United have risen to fourth following a comfortable 3-1 win over Wellington Phoenix at Coopers Stadium on Friday night.
Johan Absalonsen's third goal in three games and a further two in as many minutes from Ben Garuccio and Nathan Konstandopoulos after half-time made it successive home victories for the Reds.
Wellington did pull one back through a Logan Rogerson penalty, but it proved little more than a consolation as Adelaide are now almost assured of a Finals Series spot.
STORY OF THE GAME
- POST: Nathan Burns weaves his way through the area before the ball breaks for Roy Krishna, whose finish deflects off Paul Izzo and into the base of the upright.
- SAVE: Oliver Sail diverts a Daniel Adlung piledriver over the bar.
- SAVE: Sail gets in behind an Adlung volley that squirms through a sea of bodies.
- CHANCE: Andrija Kaluderovic finds space in the area but his mishit effort is easy for Izzo.
- SAVE: Sail is at it again, this time tipping over Ryan Kitto's close-range drive.
- GOAL! Absalonsen ghosts into the area and heads Adelaide into the lead late in the first half.
- GOAL! Sublime from Garuccio as he goes solo for an Adelaide second on the hour.
- GOAL! Konstandopoulos makes it two in two minutes as he joins Garuccio on two Hyundai A-League goals.
- SAVE: Sail does well to smother an opening, with a collision between the goalkeeper and Dylan Fox leaving the defender needing treatment.
- CHANCE: Burns makes a poor connection with Michael McGlinchey's inviting cross.
- GOAL! Rogerson converts a late penalty for his second goal in as many matches.
Johan Absalonsen, Adelaide United 42': 1-0
Michael Marrone gets to the byline and whips in a perfect cross for an unmarked Absalonsen to head home at the near post.
Ben Garuccio, Adelaide United 61': 2-0
Gaurccio exchanges passes with Adlung, cuts through Scott Galloway on the left and thumps a rasping finish across Sail and into the top corner.
Nathan Konstandopoulos, Adelaide United 63': 3-0
Sail can only push a low Garuccio cross into the path of George Blackwood, whose scuffed shot is blocked. However, the rebound comes to Konstandopoulos and he keeps a cool head to poke in amid a scramble.
Logan Rogerson (p), Wellington Phoenix 84': 3-1
Ersan Gulum bundles into the back of Rogerson, who squeezes the resultant spot-kick through Izzo's legs.