Adelaide pummels Perth

A Francesco Monterosso hat-trick has seen Adelaide United beat Perth Glory 3-0 in the National Youth League at Hindmarsh Stadium on Saturday.

A Francesco Monterosso hat-trick has seen Adelaide United beat Perth Glory 3-0 in the National Youth League at Hindmarsh Stadium on Saturday.

In sweltering conditions, Monterosso brought his own heat to the contest by scoring in the 1st, 46th and 50th minutes.

Importantly, the result - the team's third win a row - ensures the Reds' destiny is in their own hands.

The victory sees them move into second spot and puts them in the box seat to reach the season decider against top side Sydney FC.

After an easy tap-in during the opening minute of the contest, Monterosso showed some classy attacking play, particularly in the second half.

The home side's lead was doubled only seconds after the break with Monterosso trapping the ball near the spot, turning and drilling the ball into the right hand corner of the net.

Minutes later he managed to break clear of Joshua Risdon and get another successful shot away.

The No.15 angled a low ball past goalkeeper Alex Pearson and watched with delight as he received a favourable rebound off the right goal post.

Reds coach Joe Mullen said he was not surprised by Monterosso's performance.

"He puts in some real hard shifts for us and he's been like it all season and he deserved what he got today. I thought his effort and his position was first class," he said.

Mullen said it was a bonus the team was in grand-final contention but added the players would need to remain focused in the remaining two games if they were to qualify for the big match.

Glory coach Gareth Naven said his team's performance wasn't acceptable.

"They were not switched on, it was as simple as that and there are no excuses. People have got to mark their opponents and if they don't, they score goals - it's as easy as that," Naven said.

"I think for our game out of 90 minutes we were probably competitive for 20 to 25."

Adelaide's clash began in the beaming summer sun and the early score boosted its players' spirits.

United had plenty of the play and was showing all the initiative.

At the 23rd minute a nimble Osama Malik was brought down by Adam Luca in a tackle which the referee deemed to be just outside the box. He took the shot but sent the ball sailing over the cross bar.

Malik had an even better chance nine minutes later. He smashed a bouncing ball from close range towards goal but Alex Pearson knocked the ball to ground. Monterosso was there to swoop on the crumbs but again the keeper was up for the challenge.

There was some relief from the heatwave in the second half but the pressure remained on the Glory.

Two quick second-half goals were not enough for a hungry Adelaide with Monterosso and several of his team-mates looking to add their names to the scoreboard.

Monterosso had plenty of space in the box at the 52nd minute and was denied a couple of times by Pearson. His header and strike from close range nearing full time also gave Perth's defence a scare.

Meanwhile an Alex Sunasky volley was inaccurate, Joel Allwright hammered the left goal post and late in the clash a free-wheeling Malik scooped the ball over the crossbar.

After the lead blew out to three goals, the Glory swung the changes. Hayden Doyle showed some promise and Cameron Edwards continued to probe, especially with two late corners. But the enthusiastic visitors ultimately struggled to find a pathway through to goal.

Adelaide United 3 (Monterosso 1, 46, 50) Perth Glory 0