Adelaide leave out Cassio

Adelaide United will leave Brazilian left back Cassio out of their squad for Tuesday's AFC Champions League clash with Uzbekistan's Bunyodkor.

Adelaide United will leave Brazilian left back Cassio out of their squad for Tuesday's AFC Champions League clash with Uzbekistan's Bunyodkor.

The 32-year-old played in last month's play-off against Indonesian club Persipura, but questions emerged after Adelaide's 3-0 victory over whether or not he was eligible to play, having been sent off in the club's last ACL match in 2010 against Jeonbuk Motors.

Two weeks after the controversy arose, Australian newspaper The Advertiser reported on Friday that the Asian Football Confederation had sent a disciplinary letter to the club.

Adelaide said they had left Cassio out of their squad to insure against a challenge from their opponents over the legitimacy of the outcome.

"The club is simply not prepared (to risk a) potential challenge by Bunyodkor of any result it may achieve on Tuesday night," Adelaide media manager Nic Kerber said in a statement.

"The AFC Champions League is a highly prestigious tournament and Adelaide United would never put at risk the high standing it holds in Asia as the most successful Australian club ever in the competition by playing Cassio and then risking a challenge, which in all likelihood would never be made, by a club that Adelaide United has enormous respect and regard for."

The statement went on to note that Cassio is expected to be available for their March 20 match against Japan's Gamba Osaka, who defeated Adelaide 5-0 on aggregate in 2008 to win the AFC Champions League title.