Adelaide get back on track with slim win in Wellington
Adelaide United reaffirmed their top four credentials with a 1-0 win over Wellington Phoenix at Westpac Stadium on Saturday.
Beaten 5-0 by Melbourne City last time out, the Reds responded in perfect fashion as George Blackwood's lone first half goal spoiled Andrew Durante's milestone match.
The Phoenix skipper was celebrating his 278th Hyundai A-League match, equalling Danny Vukovic's all-time appearance record, but it wasn't enough to inspire the hosts as they remain bottom, while Adelaide's first win in four moved them to within a point of Melbourne Victory.
STORY OF THE GAME
- GOAL! After a tight first half-hour, Blackwood undoes Wellington's high line and puts the visitors ahead.
- SAVE: Paul Izzo spectacularly leaps to his right to tip Adam Parkhouse's curling effort away from the top corner.
- SAVE: At the other end, Lewis Italiano gets down low to parry Daniel Adlung's dangerous free-kick.
- CHANCE: Blackwood should make it two after the break but the big striker slices well wide from Jordan O'Doherty's cut-back.
- CLOSE: Ersan Gulum goes closer, nodding marginally wide from a corner.
- SAVE: With five minutes remaining, Izzo is up to the challenge as Michael McGlinchey unleashes from the edge of the area.
- WOODWORK: Alex Rufer volleys against the crossbar at close-range after Tom Doyle's cross deflects to the far post.
George Blackwood, Adelaide United 32': 0-1
A superb one-touch interchange involving O'Doherty and Ryan Kitto on halfway releases Blackwood, who charges in on goal and slips his finish through Lewis Italiano's legs.