Hyundai A-League big guns were playing across Australia last night as they prepare for the new season in October and for some, the upcoming Westfield FFA Cup. Here's a mini wrap of what happened.
· Melbourne Victory defeated A-League rivals Brisbane Roar 1-0 on the Gold Coast thanks to a goal from defender Jason Geria in the 71st minute, pouncing on a loose ball from a deflected free-kick and firing it home for the Champions.
· Sydney FC eased past Belconnen United 3-0 on Wednesday night at a freezing MacKellar Park in Canberra. Goals to Matt Simon, Jacob Tratt and Andrew Hoole within the final 18 minutes overcame a resilient defensive effort from the hosts.
· Newcastle Jets overcame last year's FFA Cup heroes Bentleigh Greens 1-0 in Melbourne. New signing from Western Sydney Wanderers Mateo Poljak hit the winner shortly before halftime after he converted a spot kick following a foul on young striker Braedyn Crowley.
· Adelaide United ran riot against an Alice Springs All Stars XI, winning 11-0 in the Top End. Sergio Cirio grabbed a hat-trick while new signing Eli Babalj and playmaker Marcelo Carrusca both scored twice.
· Perth Glory snuck past a Western Australia All Stars XI, defeating them 1-0 thanks to a Nebojsa Marinkovic goal off of a WA error.