A-League and Westfield W-League 2020/21 countdown begins
- A-League and Westfield W-League kicking off together for first time
- Expansion club Macarthur FC’s debut away to local rival Western Sydney Wanderers FC in double-header
- Ex Westfield Matildas boss Ante Milicic leading Macarthur FC, ex-Socceroo Mark Milligan captain
- Sydney FC host Melbourne City FC in A-League grand final replay at ANZ Stadium
- Festival of professional football coming, with games broadcast on FOX SPORTS six days per week
- Australia’s rising stars on show with over 40 Olyroos, Young Socceroos and Young Matildas to feature in A-League and Westfield W-League, plus dozens of Socceroos and Westfield Matildas
- Download the full draw here.
The A-League and Westfield W-League seasons commence with an historic double-header, to mark the first time both seasons kick off together, on 27 December.
The festival of professional football begins with 18 matches played over eight days, including a Westfield W-League and A-League Grand Final rematch between Sydney FC and Melbourne City FC at ANZ Stadium on Wednesday 30 December and an F3 Derby (Central Coast Mariners v Newcastle Jets) on New Year’s Eve at Central Coast Stadium.
- Ante Milicic (Macarthur FC inaugural coach and former Westfield Matildas Head coach):
- Mark Milligan (Macarthur FC captain, four-time FIFA World Cup Socceroo):
- Keanu Baccus (Western Sydney Wanderers FC rising star and Olyroo):
- Georgia Yeoman-Dale (Western Sydney Wanderers FC and Matildas-capped midfielder):
- Jamie Maclaren (Melbourne City FC, Socceroos striker, 2019/20 golden boot):
- Melissa Barbieri (Melbourne City FC keeper and Matildas great):
- Robbie Kruse (Melbourne Victory, Socceroos attacker):
- Macarthur FC Training (including Ante Milicic and Mark Milligan footage):
- Bankwest Stadium (hosting season opening double-header):
- Campbelltown Stadium (Home of Macarthur FC):
History will be made in Sydney, with a brand-new derby and an opening day double header for the men’s and women’s teams as Western Sydney Wanderers FC men’s team face Macarthur FC and the women’s team host Melbourne Victory at Bankwest Stadium. Macarthur FC are coached by Ante Milicic who joins the club after leading the Westfield Matildas at the 2019 FIFA Women’s World Cup.
FOX SPORTS will broadcast A-League and Westfield W-League football for six days a week up until the end of the Westfield W-League season, including every match of the A-League season and the 2021 Finals Series and two matches per round of the Westfield W-League 2020/21 season as well as all Westfield W-League 2021 Finals Series matches.
ABCTV will broadcast live one match per round of the A-League and Westfield W-League 2020/21 Season, all matches of the Westfield W-League 2021 Finals Series live and provide a delayed broadcast of one A-League 2021 Elimination Final, one A-League 2021 Semi Final and the A-League 2020 Grand Final.
Head of Leagues, Greg O’Rourke said:
“We are kicking off with a summer of football – a December start, games broadcast six days a week, and more young, Australian talent on the pitch than ever before, with more than 40 Olyroos and Young Socceroos and Matildas in the two leagues.
“We’ve always had an ambition to align to the A-League and W-League seasons, so to be able to do that this year is a big step forward. The later than usual season start also means that we have more alignment with the rest of the game.
“This has been one of the most challenging fixture processes we’ve ever been involved in because of the continually evolving restrictions, but our priority has always been bringing the best football to fans in the safest way, working with all our stakeholders to do so.”
Four-time FIFA World Cup Socceroo Mark Milligan, Captain of the latest A-League expansion team, Macarthur FC said:
“After the year that 2020 has been, we are more ready than ever to get back on to the pitch and into the stadium and I know that we’re hearing from members every day about how excited they are that football is back for summer. To start our season with a brand-new derby showdown against Western Sydney Wanderers is the ideal way to kick-off and we are ready to go.”
Steve Crawley, Executive Director of FOX SPORTS said:
“What better way to finish off this year and start 2021 than to sink our teeth in to six days a week of football. We’re going to see the best the leagues have on offer with so many Socceroos and Matildas putting on a show for fans across the nation.”
The full A-League schedule is available here and the full Westfield W-League fixture schedule will be revealed on Monday 30 November 2020.
View each club's fixtures in full
Featured NewsRead more
The Ins & Outs at all clubs ahead of A-League 2021/22 season
MELBOURNE City begin their Championship defence in 2021/22, as an exciting new era of A-League football unfolds. City clinched the Premiership/Championship double in 2020/21, beating Sydney FC 3-1 in an impressive Grand Final display at AAMI Park on June 27, 2021. But can the
Countdown starts towards campaign of football to keep fans transfixed
Seven months of the best of Australian football will kick off on October 30, it was revealed today, as clubs, players and fans gear up for the launch of the game's new home on Network 10 and Paramount+. Just weeks after Melbourne City secured the A-League championship to close
Western United sign Topor-Stanley to fill Durante's experienced boots
HE'S the player with the second-most appearances in A-League history, making Nikolai Topor-Stanley the perfect replacement at Western United for the retired veteran who tops the list. When Australian football legend Andrew Durante announced his retirement at the end of the 20