Spirited 10-man Jets shock Sydney FC in Hyundai A-League epic
A 10-man Newcastle Jets stoically defied their numerical disadvantage to stun Sydney FC in a spellbinding 2-1 win at McDonald Jones Stadium on Saturday.
Andrew Nabbout's sensational 30-yard strike sealed Jets' first victory over the Sky Blues since December 2012 after Bobo had cancelled out Dimitri Petratos' penalty.
The hosts had lost Roy O'Donovan to a straight red card inside 15 minutes but somehow found the resolve to delight a boisterous crowd of 18,156.
Ernie Merrick's men are now back to within eight points of the leaders, who suffered just their second defeat of the season.
STORY OF THE GAME
- RED CARD! O'Donovan is given his marching orders in the 14th minute after catching Jordy Buijs in the face with his right arm.
- CLOSE: From an impossible angle, Adrian Mierzejewski curls a free-kick over Jack Duncan and into the crossbar.
- GOAL! Buijs is punished for a push on Nikolai Topor-Stanley and Petratos converts the resultant spot-kick to give the 10-man Jets a shock half-time lead.
- CHANCE: Alex Brosque blazes high and wide from a good position.
- GOAL! Bobo heads in a free-kick to draw Sydney FC level soon after the interval.
- GOAL! Nabbout immediately hits back for the Jets in superb fashion, arrowing in a sweet low strike from 30 yards.
- WOODWORK: Petratos breaks into the area and shimmies away from Alex Wilkinson, only to see his shot cannon back off the left post.
- CLOSE: Daniel Georgievski somehow diverts a deflected Adrian Mierzejewski strike off the line.
- INJURY: A late blow for Newcastle as Nigel Boogaard limps off having appeared to hyperextend his knee.
Petratos, Newcastle Jets 43': 1-0
Petratos beats Andrew Redmayne into the bottom left corner after Buijs is penalised for hands in the back of Nikolai Topor-Stanley.
Bobo, Sydney FC 52': 1-1
Buijs fizzes in a wicked free-kick and Bobo glances a header inside the upright.
Nabbout, Newcastle Jets 56': 2-1
Brilliance from Nabbout! He drives at the retreating defence, steps inside from the left and fires a rasping long-range drive into the bottom right corner.