10-man City battle back to draw with Central Coast Mariners
Despite being down to 10 men for over an hour, Melbourne City pulled out a superb display to come back and draw 2-2 with Central Coast Mariners on Sunday.
With the breeze around 42km per hour at kick off, the Mariners played with the wind at their backs in the first half.
And after losing a player on 27 minutes, Mariners were well placed to win this contest after they held a 2-1 lead into the final minutes.
But a late goal to Marcin Budzinski earned City a fabulous point.
STORY OF THE GAME
- ARZANI BRILLIANCE: A deft cross into the box from City winger Daniel Arzani gave City a chance but the ball was bundled into the post and cleared inside the first 10 mins
- GOAL TO CCM ON 13 MINS! An incredible goal with Harrison Delbridge almost scoring an OG from a set piece. Baro finishing for CCM.
- CITY RED CARD ON 27 MINS! Delbridge with a poor tackle on Blake Powell. The ref had no choice.
- HIARIEJ ROCKET: CCM with a patient build-up ends with Tom Hiariej firing a rocket that flies just over the bar after 36 mins.
- GOAL TO CITY ON 42 MINS: McCormack - who else - finishes off a neat move for goal 13 of the season. 1-1
- 1-1 AT HALF TIME: An entertaining half. Two good goals, a red card and plenty of chances in the wind.
- CCM GOAL! The home side up 2-1 up after 50 mins courtesy of Jake McGing.
- MISSED CHANCE FOR CCM! Asdrúbal makes the break before bursting into the box with just the keeper ahead - Michael Jakobsen however with an excellent second effort is able to close down the Mariners forward.
- KENNEDY SAVES CCM: Off Fitzgerald's ricochet, the ball hangs in the air before falling for McCormack - the striker is in prime position for the header but his effort from close range is well blocked by Kennedy.
- CITY GOAL! VAR overruled the officials and it's 2-2 courtesy of Marcin Budzinski in the final minutes.
Baro CCM 13', 1-0
Lachy Wales with a sublime set-piece into the box that came off the head of Harrison Delbridge straight onto the woodwork - on the end of the rebound was Baró who heads home.
McCormack City 42', 1-1
Defender Scott Jamieson bursts into the CCM box, lays the ball off to McCormack and the striker fires through the legs of Antony Golec and past the diving Ben Kennedy.
McGing CCM 50', 2-1
Wales again with a corner that sees the ball rocket into the crossbar - the quick thinking Jake McGing is on the end of the rebound and he heads over Dean Bouzanis into the open goal.
Budzinski City 86', 2-2
Marcin Budzinski unleashes a rocket from outside the box that beats Kennedy and scorches into the back of the net. The goal is initially denied by an offside ruling, however, after viewing the replay, the VAR is quick to award the equaliser.