Newcastle Jets make it two wins in three days with victory over Brisbane Roar
A first-half goal to Jason Hoffman has helped Newcastle Jets to a hard-fought 1-0 win over Brisbane Roar on Friday night.
And with over 12,000 fans in attendance at McDonald Jones stadium, the victory caps a successful week after their second win in three days to maintain their pressure on top of the table Sydney FC.
STORY OF THE GAME
- ROAR START WELL: Brisbane on the front foot early in Newcastle.
- GOAL ON 11 MINS! In their first real attack, Jason Hoffman sealed the opener.
- YOUNG'S BRILLIANT TWO SAVES: The superb Roar keeper was again in top form, first keeping out a Petratos power free kick (seeing it late) and keeping out Nabbout's smashing drive from the short corner.
- 1-0 AT THE BREAK: The Jets not at the regal best but clinical when it mattered.
- PATO RODRIGUEZ IS ON! The Argentine whiz a half-time substitute for Jets
- CHANCE FOR JETS: Pato Rodriguez with the burst forward and cross from wide left and Georgievski with the looping effort tipped over by Young brilliantly after 51 minutes.
- LONG-RANGE SHOT: Jets' Ivan Vujica goes very close with a low shot from distance fizzing past Young's post on the hour mark.
- O'TOOLE AND FRANJIC GO CLOSE: Both with good chances for Roar as the Jets appeared to fatigue in the final 30 minutes.
- JETS HANG ON: Roar looking the sharper of the two sides.
- BOOGAARD MISS: Rodriguez's sublime long cross but the defender butchered the chance with the goal gaping after 80 mins.
Hoffman Jets 1-0, 11'
Nabbout with the superb assist. A high ball through saw him control it on his chest on the edge of the box. As it dropped, his outside of the foot pass brought in the on-running Hoffman who dragged the ball into his stride into the box to sweep home the opener with an assured left-foot strike.
Jets sweat over potential injury to star recruit Rodriguez
Newcastle Jets are hopeful star import Patricio Rodriguez has escaped an injury despite copping a heavy challenge in the win over Brisbane Roar on Friday night. Not long after coming on as a half-time substitute at McDonald Jones Stadium, Rodriguez was on the end of a crunchin
Topor-Stanley hails Jets’ resolve after shutout of Brisbane Roar
They have been banging in the goals all season and playing some eye-catching attacking football but Newcastle Jets’ defensive resolve was behind Friday night’s win over Brisbane Roar. Jason Hoffman’s 11th minute goal was enough to hand the Jets a 1-0 win as they withstood a la
Hyundai A-League stats preview: Newcastle Jets v Brisbane Roar
Newcastle Jets will be looking to continue their impressive record at home when they play host to Brisbane Roar in the opening fixture of Round 16 on Friday night. The Jets have won three matches in a row at McDonald Jones Stadium - conceding just once - and have notched five
Hyundai A-League Ins and Outs: Round 16
The football continues to come thick and fast in the Hyundai A-League with Round 16 kicking off on Friday night as Newcastle Jets play host to Brisbane Roar. Here's all the team news ahead of what looms as a thrilling weekend of action. Friday, 12 January 2018 Newcast