Newcastle Jets
Adelaide United
A-League R3
McDonald Jones Stadium

Adelaide show no FFA Cup hangover as McGree’s double downs Newcastle Jets

Adelaide United's celebrations continued as Riley McGree scored twice to complete a 2-1 comeback win against his former club Newcastle Jets.

Only three nights earlier, the Reds were toasting their FFA Cup triumph and Gertjan Verbeek’s side showed their spirit after half-time at McDonald Jones Stadium to claim their first Hyundai A-League win of the season.

A sensational twisting volley from Abdiel Arroyo broke the deadlock on 37 minutes when the Panama international took Matt Millar’s long throw on his chest and showed brute strength and precise finishing to open his Hyundai A-League account.

After Newcastle had racked up 12 first-half attempts, Verbeek made a double half-time switch, bringing on Nikola Mileusnic and Michael Maria for Ryan Kitto and Kristian Opseth, before McGree was on the spot to convert James Troisi’s smart cut-back on 48 minutes.

McGree used the blustery conditions to his advantage to float his 61st-minute corner directly into the Jets goal and make it 2-1, while Matthew Ridenton saw a potential Jets equaliser ruled out for a handball call against Arroyo. 

Sydney Derby 26-10 Thin Banner

Key moments

Jets on top as Petratos takes aim

Newcastle Jets have created the most dangerous moments in the opening exchanges, with Johnny Koutroumbis flashing a dangerous delivery across goal and Nick Fitzgerald finding space but skewing his shot away from the target.

Al Hassan Toure has once again been the Reds' brightest spark in the opening 20 minutes, while Dimi Petratos has threatened with a pair of free-kicks.

Arroyo executes stunning volley to open Jets account

Riley McGree has a clear sight of goal from James Troisi's through ball but the young Aussie midfielder cannot hit the target from close range.

At the other end, the Jets pressure pays when Matthew Millar launches a long throw into the Reds' penalty area and Arroyo uses his strength to take the ball on his chest and slam a twisting volley into the roof of Paul Izzo's net.

McGree pounces to level the scores

It took only three minutes after the half-time restart and the Reds' show there is no FFA Cup Final hangover as Riley McGree fires the visitors level.

The former Newcastle Jet timed his run to perfection to finish James Troisi's cut-back. Reds boss Gertjan Verbeek made a double substitution at the interval, it looks like his reshuffle has worked.

McGree uses blustery conditions to his advantage

Adelaide are seizing the initiative at McDonald Jones Stadium and McGree has flipped the game on his head with a piece of ingenuity from a corner.

The 20-year-old curls a 61st-minute corner high into the roof of the Jets goal with gloveman Glen Moss struggling to track the ball in the high winds.

MATCH CENTRE: Newcastle Jets v Adelaide United

Watch Hyundai A-League Live and Free on ABC and iView

Related news