Late drama as Victory, Roar battle to draw
Melbourne Victory and Brisbane Roar both remain winless after Brett Holman netted an 84th minute equaliser in a 1-1 draw at Etihad Stadium on Saturday.
The hosts had looked on track for a much-needed three points when they took the lead just five minutes earlier, but Holman came off the bench to salvage a share of the spoils for an injury-hit Roar.
The draw means both Hyundai A-League heavyweights remain stuck in the bottom three after six rounds of the new season.
STORY OF THE GAME
- Jamie Young was the first goalkeeper called into action, flying to his right to push away Leigh Broxham's flick-on header.
- Leroy George and Eric Bautheac were at the heart of their respective teams' best moves over the opening 45 minutes.
- An unmarked Rhys Williams nodded over from a George corner before he intelligently hooked clear Avraam Papadopoulos' attempt at the other end.
- And from a Bautheac cross, Nick D'Agostino tested Lawrence Thomas at his near post.
- Thomas' reaction save was matched again by Young, who preserved the deadlock by parrying George's fizzer.
- Young came to Brisbane's rescue once more with just over 15 minutes remaining, adjusting well to tip George's deflected strike around the far post.
- There was little the shot-stopper could do to deny Besart Berisha, though, as the striker fired first-time into the far corner to finally open the scoring.
- But the lead only lasted five minutes as Holman tapped home at close range to settle the stalemate.
Berisha, Melbourne Victory 79': 1-0
Who else? The former Roar striker only needed one chance, sweeping home George's smart pass after Papadopoulos failed to properly clear substitute Christian Theoharous' cross.
Holman, Brisbane Roar 84': 1-1
Jack Hingert overlapped on the right and kept his cool to find Brett Holman for a tap-in.
'We have to keep going': Honda urges Victory to build on Mariners triumph
Melbourne Victory are beginning to find their mojo, according to Keisuke Honda. The Japanese marquee opened the scoring and inspired an electric first half in Sunday’s 4-1 triumph over Central Coast Mariners, in which Victory raced to a 3-0 half-time lead at AAMI Park. But
Analysis: Theoharous an inspiration for Victory
Kevin Muscat summed up the apprehension stifling Melbourne Victory when he praised teenage talent Christian Theoharous in the wake of Saturday’s 1-1 draw with Brisbane Roar. Muscat described the 17-year-old, whose positivity and skill paved the way for Besart Berisha’s opener,
Late drama as Victory, Roar battle to draw
Melbourne Victory and Brisbane Roar both remain winless after Brett Holman netted an 84th minute equaliser in a 1-1 draw at Etihad Stadium on Saturday. The hosts had looked on track for a much-needed three points when they took the lead just five minutes earlier, but Holman ca
Hyundai A-League stats preview: Melbourne Victory v Brisbane Roar
It’s hard to believe these two sides are still searching for their first wins of the campaign heading into Round 6 of the Hyundai A-League 2017/18 Season. But that’s the case for both Melbourne Victory and Brisbane Roar, adding further spice to Saturday night’s clash at Etihad
5 key ins for Hyundai A-League Round 6
Squad depth will be well and truly tested this weekend with international commitments but there are also several big names set to boost their sides in Round 6 - including a legend of the league. Here’s five key players who have been named to return for their respective sides.
Hyundai A-League Ins and Outs: Remembrance Round (Round 6)
Sydney FC and Melbourne Victory welcome back key attacking weapons while a number of teams juggle players missing on international duty this weekend. Here's all the squad news for Round 6. Friday, 10 November 2017 Central Coast Mariners v Sydney FC Central Coast St
5 reasons to watch the Hyundai A-League this weekend
The Hyundai A-League 2017/18 season reaches an intriguing Round 6 this weekend. Here are your five reasons to catch all the action… ...GOMBAU TAKES CHARGE He sat in the stands last weekend, but Josep Gombau takes full control of Western Sydney Wanderers for the first time
Hyundai A-League classic clashes: five-goal thriller at AAMI Park
Ahead of Saturday night’s blockbuster clash between Melbourne Victory and Brisbane Roar – live and free on ONE – we look back at a classic clash between the two sides from last season. In one of the matches of the campaign, all the goals were scored in a frantic first-half, in