Kitto fires Adelaide past Gombau's Wanderers
Ryan Kitto was Adelaide United's hero for the second successive match as his brace consigned Western Sydney Wanderers to a 2-0 defeat at Coopers Stadium on Sunday.
A week on from his stoppage time winner against Central Coast Mariners, 23-year-old Kitto scored either side of half-time to make Josep Gombau's return a forgettable experience.
Wanderers earlier had captain Robbie Cornthwaite sent off for a second yellow card on 20 minutes, the latter for a handball that sent Baba Diawara to the penalty spot.
Diawara was denied by the woodwork - the first of three such occurrences - but Kitto's goals ensured that miss and Ben Garuccio's own late red card wouldn't overshadow a win that eases some of the pain from the midweek Westfield FFA Cup Final loss.
STORY OF THE GAME
- Nikola Mileusnic's poor touch from Ben Garuccio's cross robbed him of a good chance.
- The first half erupted when Cornthwaite was ruled to have handled the ball inside his own area and was shown a second yellow, having earlier shoulder-checked Kitto.
- But Diawara planted the resultant spot-kick into the base of the left upright.
- Kitto tested the other post just six minutes later from Daniel Adlung's enticing delivery.
- An unmarked Mileusnic then inexplicably headed straight at Vedran Janjetovic from Garuccio's inswinger.
- Kitto eventually made the breakthrough in first half stoppage time.
- Incredibly, the woodwork was rattled for a third time when Oriol Riera rose and headed Raul Llorente's cross against the bar.
- It was instead left to Kitto to double the Reds' advantage just after the hour with his second of the game and fourth of the campaign.
- With fewer than 15 minutes to play, Adelaide's second straight victory was soured somewhat by Garuccio's sending off for a high boot on Roly Bonevacia.
Kitto, Adelaide United 45'+1: 1-0
Matmour's cross from the right was nodded on by Mileusnic to the far post, where Kitto stabbed beyond Janjetovic.
Kitto, Adelaide United 63': 2-0
Mileusnic was first to Paul Izzo's seemingly harmless clearance from the back. The speedster held his nerve, turned away from Janjetovic and put the ball on a plate for Kitto to poke past the retreating defenders.
Wanderers boss Gombau upbeat despite Adelaide defeat
Western Sydney Wanderers manager Josep Gombau insists he was encouraged by what he saw in his side's 2-0 loss away to Adelaide United. On his return to Coopers Stadium, the former Reds boss was hampered by Robbie Cornthwaite's early sending off as Ryan Kitto's two goals left t
Adelaide defender excited by young brigade
Adelaide United defender Ersan Gulum expects the squad's impressive crop of youngsters to continue improving after playing key roles in the Reds' rise to fourth on the ladder. Ryan Kitto scored both goals in Sunday's 2-0 home win over Western Sydney Wanderers which gave Adelai
Adelaide v Wanderers: key stats as Reds go fourth
Adelaide United surged into the Hyundai A-League's top four courtesy of Ryan Kitto's brace in a 2-0 victory over Western Sydney Wanderers on Sunday. Here are the key stats and facts from a hard-fought Coopers Stadium clash. ... Ryan Kitto scored his first career doub
Kitto fires Adelaide past Gombau's Wanderers
Ryan Kitto was Adelaide United's hero for the second successive match as his brace consigned Western Sydney Wanderers to a 2-0 defeat at Coopers Stadium on Sunday. A week on from his stoppage time winner against Central Coast Mariners, 23-year-old Kitto scored either side of h
Hyundai A-League stats preview: Adelaide v Wanderers
Level on points leading into Round 8, Adelaide United and Western Sydney Wanderers will be looking to strengthen their top four claims in what should be a tight contest on Sunday. Here are the key stats and facts ahead of the Coopers Stadium clash. Five of the last seven
Hyundai A-League Ins and Outs: Round 8
A host of international stars return this weekend though a number of teams will be tested with some key players sidelined through injury. Here's all the squad news ahead of Round 8. Thursday, 23 November 2017 Newcastle Jets v Melbourne Victory McDonald Jones Stadium
Adelaide defender refocuses on Hyundai A-League
Ersan Gulum says Adelaide United must learn from their Westfield FFA Cup Final defeat and channel the disappointment into Sunday's clash with Western Sydney Wanderers. The Reds lost 2-1 to Sydney FC in Tuesday's decider as Bobo's extra-time header denied them a second Westfiel