Hyundai A-League Competition Rules Summary
The Hyundai A-League consists of a Regular Season and a Finals Series (featuring the top six (6) Clubs from the Regular Season), the winner of which will be crowned Hyundai A-League Champions.
Competition Format – Regular Season
The Hyundai A-League Regular Season is played over twenty-seven (27) Rounds with each Club playing each other three (3) times.
The following points will be awarded for Matches during the Regular Season:
- Win = 3 points
- Draw = 1 point
- Loss = 0 points
The complete draw is available under the fixtures and results section of the Hyundai A-League Website
Procedures to Determine Placings after Regular Season
At the completion of the Regular Season Clubs are ranked from one (1) through to ten (10), with the first six (6) Clubs progressing to the Finals Series. The position of each Club will be determined based on the following criteria:
- Highest number of points accumulated during the Regular Season;
- If two (2) or more Clubs are level on points accumulated, the following criteria is applied, in order, until one (1) of the Clubs can be determined as the higher ranked Club in respect of:
- Highest positive goal difference;
- Highest number of goals scored;
- Highest number of points accumulated in Matches between the Clubs concerned;
- Highest goal difference in Matches between the Clubs concerned;
- Lowest number of Red Cards accumulated;
- Lowest number of Yellow Cards accumulated; and
- toss of a coin in the event of a tie of two (2) Clubs or drawing of lots in the event of a tie of three (3) or more Clubs.
Competition Format – Finals Series
The top six (6) Clubs at the conclusion of the Regular Season will progress to the Finals Series.
The Finals Series format will be as follows:
- Clubs ranked 3 & 6 (Match A) and 4 & 5 (Match B) will play-off with the winners from each of these Matches to advance to the Semi Finals of the Hyundai A-League Finals Series.
- Clubs ranked 3 & 4 will be considered the ‘home’ Club for Matches A & B.
- Club ranked 1 will play the lowest ranked winner of Matches A & B (Match C).
- Club ranked 2 will play the highest ranked winner of Matches A & B (Match D).
- Clubs ranked 1 & 2 will be considered the ‘home’ Club for Matches C & D.
- The highest placed Club to advance to the Hyundai A-League Grand Final (Match E) will be considered the ‘home’ Club.
- The Hyundai A-League Grand Final will be contested between the winners of Matches C & D (Match E).
- The Club who wins the Hyundai A-League Grand Final will be crowned the Hyundai A-League Champions and will be awarded the Championship Trophy.
The selection of Venues, dates and kick-off times for all Finals Series Matches, including the Grand Final, will be at the sole and absolute discretion of FFA and a decision to allocate a Venue, dates and kick-off time may be made based on a variety of factors including, but not limited to, venue availability, broadcaster preferences, player welfare, security, commercial, marketing and financial considerations.
Procedures to Determine the Winner of Finals Matches
If, at the conclusion of the regular period in any Match in the Finals Series, the scores between the two (2) Clubs are tied, then extra time of two (2) equal periods of fifteen (15) minutes will be played. The conditions of the Laws of the Game will apply.
If scores remain equal at the conclusion of both periods of extra time, penalty kicks will be taken, in accordance with the FIFA Laws of the Game, to determine the winner of the Match.
- For all Matches, Clubs must select five (5) Players as substitutes on the ‘Starting List’, including one (1) nominated Goalkeeper.
- For all Matches played during the Hyundai A-League Regular Season and the Hyundai A-League Finals Series, up to a maximum of three (3) Players (including a Goalkeeper) may be replaced at any time during a Match, up until the conclusion of normal playing time or extra time, if played. The Replacement Player must be one of the substitutes selected on the ‘Starting List’ as directed above.