Hyundai A-League Competition Rules Summary
The Hyundai A-League consists of a Regular Season and a Finals Series (featuring the top six (6) Clubs from the Regular Season), the winner of which will be crowned Hyundai A-League Champions.
Competition Format – Regular Season
The Hyundai A-League Regular Season is played over twenty-seven (27) Rounds with each Club playing each other three (3) times.
The following points are awarded for Matches during the Regular Season:
- Win = 3 points
- Draw = 1 point
- Loss = 0 points
The complete draw is available under the fixtures and results section of the Hyundai A-League Website
Procedures to Determine Placings after Regular Season
At the completion of the Regular Season Clubs are ranked from one (1) through to ten (10), with the first six (6) Clubs progressing to the Finals Series. The position of each Club will be determined based on the following criteria:
- Highest number of points accumulated during the Regular Season;
- If two (2) or more Clubs are level on points accumulated, the following criteria is applied, in order, until one (1) of the Clubs can be determined as the higher ranked Club in respect of:
- Highest positive goal difference;
- Highest number of goals scored;
- Highest number of points accumulated in Matches between the Clubs concerned;
- Highest goal difference in Matches between the Clubs concerned;
- Lowest number of Red Cards accumulated;
- Lowest number of Yellow Cards accumulated;
- Toss of a coin.
Competition Format – Finals Series
The top six (6) Clubs at the conclusion of the Regular Season will progress to the Finals Series.
The Finals Series format will be as follows:
- Clubs 3 & 6 (Match A) and 4 & 5 (Match B) will play-off with the winners from each of these Matches to advance to the Semi Finals of the Hyundai A-League 2016 Finals Series.
- Clubs 3 & 4 will be considered the ‘home’ Club for Matches A & B.
- Club 1 will play the lowest ranked winner of Matches A & B (Match C).
- Club 2 will play the highest ranked winner of Matches A & B (Match D).
- Clubs 1 & 2 will be considered the ‘home’ Club for Matches C & D.
- The highest placed Club to advance to the Hyundai A-League 2016 Grand Final (Match E) will be considered the ‘home’ Club.
- The Hyundai A-League 2016 Grand Final will be contested between the winners of Matches C & D (Match E).
- The Club who wins the Hyundai A-League 2016 Grand Final will become the Hyundai A-League Champions.
- The selection of Venues for all Finals Series Matches, including the Grand Final, is at the absolute discretion of FFA and will be made based on a variety of factors including, but not limited to, venue availability, broadcast, security, commercial, marketing and financial considerations.
Procedures to Determine the Winner of Matches in the Hyundai A-League 2016 Finals Series
- If, at the conclusion of the Hyundai A-League 2016 Elimination Finals, Semi Finals or Grand Final, the scores between the two (2) Clubs are tied, then extra time of two (2) equal periods of fifteen (15) minutes will be played. The conditions of Law 8 of the FIFA Laws of the Game will apply.
- If scores remain equal at the conclusion of both periods of extra time, penalty kicks will be taken in accordance with the FIFA Laws of the Game, to determine the winner of the Match.
- For all Matches, Clubs must select five (5) Players as substitutes on the ‘Starting List’, including one (1) nominated Goalkeeper.
- The nominated substitute Goalkeeper may only take the field and play as a Goalkeeper.
- For all Matches played during the Hyundai A-League 2015/16 Regular Season and the Hyundai A-League 2016 Finals Series, up to a maximum of three (3) Players (including a Goalkeeper) may be replaced at any time during a Match, up until the conclusion of normal playing time or extra time, if played. The Replacement Player must be one of the substitutes selected on the ‘Starting List’ as directed above.
The Technical Area
- A maximum of twelve (12) persons only are permitted to occupy the Technical Area for each Club during any Match. This includes the five (5) named substitute Players and up to seven (7) registered Team Officials.
- A Player or Team Official who has been expelled or is serving a suspension must not occupy a seat in the Technical Area.