Goodwin’s goal, assist buries Brisbane, gifts Adelaide a home semi-final

A Craig Goodwin masterclass has seen Adelaide United seal a home semi-final, most likely against Wellington Phoenix, next week following a fortunate 5-3 win over Brisbane Roar in an ANZAC Day, Thursday afternoon thriller.

The last time Nikola Mileusnic scored for the Reds was his stoppage-time winner against Brisbane Roar in Round 17, and he came back to haunt the Queensland club once again here. Less than four minutes into proceedings, Ryan Kitto whipped in a delicious cross, finding an unmarked Mileusnic who headed it home. 

ROAR EMOTION: Tears of joy as Henrique remembers Grand Final glory
MCKAY: The moment that changed retiring Brisbane legend's career

Twenty minutes of attrition followed, before the game roared back to life on 35 minutes. Departing captain Matt McKay made a lung-busting run down the middle of the park, only to have his shot parried by Paul Izzo. The resultant spill fell into the path of Dylan Wenzel-Halls, who hammered home to equalise for the hosts.

And as half-time loomed, Eric Bautheac delivered a pin-point cross to the head of Nicholas D’Agostino, who guided the ball in to give the hosts the lead at half time.

The game would swing once more on 51 minutes, when Craig Goodwin’s run down the line and towards the by-line was rewarded with a George Blackwood tap-in to equalise for Adelaide.

Dylan Wenzel-Halls
Wenzel-Halls celebrates equaliser which brought the scores to 1-1

 Then, on 59 minutes, Duncan showed his striking instincts by dribbling towards the centre channel and playing through D’Agostino. An onrushing Izzo came out to thwart the ball, but collected D’Agostino in the process. 

Beautheac stepped up and delivered one of the cheekiest penalties you will ever see — the ball crawled over the line after the Frenchman sent Izzo the wrong way, handing Brisbane the lead once more.

Not to be outdone, Goodwin would go from provider to scorer on 71 minutes. The winger took a sublime touch around Duncan, before darting into the box and finding the top-right corner to bring the visitors level once more.

Less than six minutes later, Scott Galloway would deliver a pin-point cross for Baba Diawara to flick home from six yards out. The goal was Diawara’s first of the season and his first in more than a calendar year.

Isaias put the result beyond doubt with five minutes remaining. The Spaniard turned his defender inside-out on Brisbane’s right flank, before slotting the ball into the bottom-right corner from a tight angle.

The goal brings Isaias’s Hyundai A-League goals tally to double figures, while sealing Adelaide United’s home semi-final next week.